Sotonians name-dropper challenge

Originally posted by @SaintBristol

Originally posted by @Fatso

Originally posted by @SaintBristol

you should report that.

in 1990 I was slapped on the arse by a playful Philippa Forester

You just described my teenage fantasies :blush:

you have my permission to knock one out over the image of Philippa slapping my arse. If it helps, she had red nail varnish and her tits out.

Stop it ffs

Clean it up quickly and there shouldn’t be a permanent stain…

This is The Mulliner. It no longer exists, but it used to be my local.

I was only around 20 then and not well versed at holding my alcohol, so would be steaming pretty quickly.

Went over with ms pap one night, and get talking to this fella about football. Tallish. Big nose. Scouse. Said nice things about Southampton.

It was Phil Thompson. Muggins here knew even less about football then and had no fucking clue. ms pap didn’t let on about it at the time, instead choosing to tease me for months afterward.

5 Likes

When working at Worldcom in Reading in 2002 (soon to be MCI, now Verizon) I worked with a chap, who had/has a brother called Andy Gilmour. I found out that he was the bass guitarist in a band called Hundered Reasons. (Now, Freeze the Atlantic).

Managed to get back stage at Reading 2004 as they were on the bill, but not only that, got to see, but not speak to Ash, Reel Big Fish, Offspring and The Hives. (The Darkness were also on the bill)

Also go to go back stage (a toilet) to see Hundred Reasons at the Junction in Cambridge.

1 Like

I have also met Judith Charmers…this was my parents fault I believe, on a day trip to some national trust place, but I think that is about it.

1 Like

Boxing day lunchtime, 1984, the Malthouse boozer just outside Romsey, got dragged there by my next door neighbour, a Romsey legend by the name of Stewart Reeves, (sadly deceased). Stewart’s tipple of choice was a triple vodka and coke, that was his drink when the rounds were bought. In the ‘Malty’ was a separate ‘games room’ with a pool table. Alan Ball and Frank Worthington were regulars at the Malthouse. About four pints into our session, (four triple vodkas for Stewart), he challenged Frank to a game of pool for twenty quid. We all piled into the back room, Bally was acting as Frank’s second. Now Stewart was a fucking good pool player, and the amazing thing was the more pissed he was, the better he played. He was staggering round the table, kicking Frank’s arse, with Bally going frantic saying, “Come on Frank, you’re playing for money now”. Frank didn’t give a toss, but Bally was really getting worked up. Couldn’t believe that this overweight pisshead was giving Frank a lesson,(and Frank was clearly no stranger to the pool table). After covering the pockets Stewart moved in for the kill, with Bally going mental,'Come on Frank, you’re playing for twenty quid here"! After the inevitable happened, Frank handed over the twenty quid, Bally with a face like thunder. Cool as you like Stewart tucked the twenty quid note into Bally’s top pocket and said,“Buy your kids some sweets Alan” True story.

7 Likes

I met Aaron Soul and had a 30 minute chat. Nice fella.

He seems a bit sure of himself, maybe he should answer his phone :laughing:

1 Like

Clinton Bradley of Beltane Fire would always be in the Langley Tavern when he was home visiting his mum and He would always stand his round.

1 Like

Good old Clinton

1 Like

I met Clint a few times, he was close to a good friend of mine. Beltane Fire were a bloody good band, saw them at the Gaumont circa 1986, supporting Marillion. Blew them off the stage. A fine guitar player.

1 Like

Ok thanks didnt know that

These guys aren’t super-famous. They’re Ladytron.

I used to serve Helen Marnie (second from left) every week in my capacity as barman.

2 Likes

I was at school with Ollie Lancashire.

Read 'em and weep, suckers!

Beltane Fire also Supported U2 at one stage.

Ken Loach, destroyer of all comers on Question Time this week and responsible for I, Daniel Blake.

Met him at a couple of lefty things.

1 Like

I’ve met Blagger Extraodinaire, friend of The Golfing and Cricket Community … Dubai_Phil.

3 Likes

Used to work as an usher during the Edinburgh Film Festival which led to several sightings/meetings. Had a chat with Angelo Badalamenti about geology as he was interested in the rock Edinburgh castle is built on. Also got the evils from Chloe Sevigny as she was having a fag while I walked past. Had a drink with Mark Cousins of Moviedrome fame. Was at a festival party with Roman Coppola. Remember seeing Jane Middlemiss at another party, very fit but much shorter than she looked on TV. Mark Kermode often came to the cinema to film bits and pieces for tv. Saw him again years later when I was doing my Masters as his wife is a film lecturer, she did a seminar and he came along to run the powerpoint slideshow.

1 Like

Was on an archaeological dig which had some Cambridge students on it as well. Many years later was watching Newsnight and thought “that person looks familiar”. Turns out one of the students I was on the dig with is now the national editor for ITV.

She was very posh, think she mentioned her family own a castle, but still a reasonably normal person.

Was an observer on a hostile environment course a couple of years ago with George Clooney’s missus. She was always late for the first session of the morning as she spent so long on her makeup. Also had to leave the course a day early as she was having tea with Kofi Annan! Still, came across as reasonably down to earth most of the time.

was she always an irritating cunt?

How do you know dinger’s girlfriend?