Stop! Banner Time!

Still the crappiest banner ever. I think you should make it a lot bigger when I am on it.

As I see it, I’m on the banner!

It should remain as it is forever. Well played pap/bletch (I dunno who does what, but you’re both awesome).

2 Likes

Must confess, I also liked crazy, stupid love & Nick and Norah’s. Also 500 Days of Summer, the fact I’m pathetically in love with Zooey D has nothing to do with this whatsoever. Honest.

1 Like

I’m open to quite a few ideas on the banner. We can cycle it quite a bit, and it doesn’t have to be posters. It can be footballers, a la SaintsWeb, or if we really want to honour what we’re all about, perhaps we should think about putting some of the stuff in the Southampton Past and Present thread up there. We’ve got loads of material, but we’d obviously need to present it in a different way.

1 Like

Ffs pap, can I not just enjoy my minute in the sun?

1 Like

Loving seeing Halo’s moment of glory!

2 Likes

Yep, Pap - that ranks right up there amongst some of the finest moments of my life :smile:

Take no notice of anything Bear might say about the banner - it’s doing just fine as far as I’m concerned!

1 Like

Well I’m pretty chuffed at crashing the top 10…with a bullet (OK in at number 10) seeing as I am the only computer literate who doesn’t own a smart phone.

This means I am incommunicado for large parts of the day i.e. walking the dog: 90 minutes x 2 per day…taking the missus to Romsey Rapids: 60 minutes 4 days a week…doing lunch at a local hostelry 90 > 180 minutes per week.

So the weekly adjusted figure should see me comfortably in a Champion’s League position…but I’m not one to complain. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

I don’t want to go all MLG about this point scoring malarkey - well I do actually - but it’s struck me that the league tables should be worked out on a points per post average (just like goals per game). I mean it stands to reason that somebody who has posted loads and loads will accumulate more points than somebody who hasn’t posted loads and loads - well, with the odd exception. :smile:

I’ve thought about that, but at the same time, I am looking to drive participation as much as anything else. I wouldn’t want someone thinking “nah, I won’t post this. It’ll fuck up my average”

2 Likes

I was going to reply to this, Pap, but I don’t think anything I say will be a point scorer so I won’t.

Oh, hang on, we’re not doing averages, so I won’t lose anything by saying: good point.

2 Likes

I’m just going out to walk the dog…will be gone for 90 minutes.

Just as a matter of interest, will you be making my league adjustment before or after our walk?

Actually think it could be a decent metric for the banner, so will consider it’s inclusion for that reason at least. People will get on the banner for all sorts of different reasons eventually.

Re: the content of the banner itself. It’s not really about point-scoring, more celebrating the people that post here, especially those that are doing decent things, like posting good stuff or liking good stuff. It’s one of the reasons that there are weekly awards, which can be a lot more volatile and throw different people up on the board.

1 Like

There is a slight problem, though, Pap with my somewhat tongue-in-cheek suggestion: someone could just post a couple of times, get lots of ‘likes’, disappear for whatever reason, and remain top of the averages for ever! To overcome this you would have to adopt the cricketing strategy of having a minimum number of posts before averages became valid.

On a more serious point, I actually agree with Bear when he says it would be good for the banner to reflect what the site’s about. Couldn’t we keep the revolving point scoring system that you instigated yesterday but also include something similar to what comes up in search engines i.e. sotonians: team, city, people?

Correction. You are not the only one. You are the other one. :smile:

2 Likes

Wait a minute, I’m in your gang too.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

Originally posted by @Ohio-Saint

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Well I’m pretty chuffed at crashing the top 10…with a bullet (OK in at number 10) seeing as I am the only computer literate who doesn’t own a smart phone.

This means I am incommunicado for large parts of the day i.e. walking the dog: 90 minutes x 2 per day…taking the missus to Romsey Rapids: 60 minutes 4 days a week…doing lunch at a local hostelry 90 > 180 minutes per week.

So the weekly adjusted figure should see me comfortably in a Champion’s League position…but I’m not one to complain. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Haha…I wonder if you’re also one of us smug bastards who read yesterday’s article in The Times about “Inbox Anxiety and FOBO” with some satisfaction. BTW “FOBO” is Fear of Being Offline" :laughing:

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

Originally posted by @Ohio-Saint

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Cool!! Are we the only ones who don’t want to know when a friend is just walking into the supermarket, just picked up their kid from school, or want you to come into work early? I will NEVER own a fucking smart phone.! Not 'cos I am dumb, but because I is smart!!

1 Like

It’s not the same thing as not having a smart phone. I was offline for a week. It was sheer hell without the internet. Not for social media or email, it had more to do with suddenly having no legs. I had not realised until last week just how much I google stuff!!

By the way. I totally want a bug-a-salt! Damn that internet!!

Hello Ohio, I know a little bit about SEO, but not much. I think we’re benefiting from the high incidence of the word on every single page. I’d be very interested in all the expertise in getting us up the listings for Southampton, both the city and club itself, and for obvious reasons, want to keep it all white hat.