Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Originally posted by @Goatboy

That wasn’t a ‘tut’ noise you could here Lou :lou_wink:

You are outrageous, GB !

My spelling is anyway. That should be ‘hear’ :lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

But is it Art?

No. I believe the young lady is called Miley Cyrus. Art is a mental case that posts on SteveWeb.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Bearsy

Think she looks pretty good tbh + bros like pap who assume she is mere hand puppet for controlling marketing overlords need to chk priviledge + learn to recognise a Powerful, Independent Young Woman when they is see one, because this is what all modern women look like now pls grlpwr

Talking of puppets, I thought the item between her thighs was last seen on Thunderbirds?

1 Like

I wonder if Billy Ray will have this mounted and put it on his mantle piece? Actually I probably should not have said mounted.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Why take it as gender politics or girl power or whatever? Why not just it as an individual in this world doing whatever they want, and you as an individual in this world, responding in whatever way you want.

I suspect she just likes shocking people, and she won’t be the first male or female to be like that. There’s certainly nothing offensive about the image as a stand alone piece. Wider conversations around manipulation, only she can answer. Societal concerns around sexualisation of children, I can understand, but you can’t put that on her head. She’s just an individual making her own right or wrong decisions as she trundles through life.

My only observation is that this is a thread with a photo of a semi naked women, and a bunch of blokes tut tutting…

Before she started doing any of the self-debasement as career option, she played the titular star of a Disney show called Hannah Montana. The only people in the world who knew she existed were Disney Channel viewers, exasperated parents of Disney Channel viewers, Disney Channel employees and the Cyrus family.

The sad truth is that Miley could have made plenty of cash simply doing a real life continuation of Hannah Montana, and she’d still have made millions. Instead, she’s wilfully objectifying her own gender, knowing that she’s got a built-in audience, all to cynically distance herself from the thing that made her famous. There are also a lot of dads on this thread that probably wouldn’t be pleased if their kids did it. I’ve had this debate with my girls and they tried to float the same empowerment arguments.

Those arguments fell down the minute I asked “in her shoes, would you do it yourself”?

So, context established. If you were a young woman, already minted from a Disney show, and had a built-in fan-base of impressionable young girls, is this the way you’d embark on a serious music career or set a shining example of female self-will?

But is that not the point, Pap? She didn’t want to continue that path, and so she didn’t. She is a free individual, and doesn’t need to live up to anyone’s expectations but her own, and she will live by the consequences of those decisions.

I imagine the child star life of Hannah Montana is equally crap. I imagine there’s an element of rebellion to that life, going on here. I hope her parents have got her back behind the scenes.

I don’t know about the wilfully objectifying her own gender thought. She’s playing at being a sexually aggressive personality, rather a passive piece of meat. There’s a difference. I hope she’s in control, but who knows.

My issues with her are more about authenticity vs attention seeking.

Thanks for that image Pap.

Really not a fan of Miley at all. I would think she is massively rebelling against her Hannah Montana era. We may all like to rebel against something we had to do. I am sure as a child she didn’t have the free will to make those choices about where she worked. She now has the money to do what ever she wants and she is. If i was a parent I may not like it but as she’s an adult she can do what she wants now (there was a bit of a debate re Mourinho’s daughter wearing a revealing dress that has covered that topic). Would I have done it, would your daughters? No, but then we haven’t had the same experiences as her. She isn’t the first to push those boundaries Madonna has been there before and just a few months ago I saw Grace Jones on stage in body paint and a small pair of pants.

This is the end of my views on her because I do think we need to ignore some of the attention seeking behaviour of these stars and starve some of the shit magazines and papers who make money being ‘shocked and outraged’ about this kind of stuff.

4 Likes

Her music is shit. I couldn’t give a fuck about anything else.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen her show but does it involve other women? (asking for a friend)

4 Likes

I still love Hannah Montana :lou_smiley:

It’s not an especially impressive reaction, is it? Progressing from superficial made-up pop star to completely superficial attention-seeker doesn’t seem like much of a jump. It’s interesting that you mention Madonna, although beyond the fact that the pair of them court controversy through sexual imagery, and at least Madonna managed it with some degree of dignity, even if she did flaunt scenarios where Jesus was about to get a nosh off her.

Perhaps Cyrus is just a product of her age, perhaps I’m just an old fart, but Madonna at least had the decency to dress her indecency in suggestion and innuendo, and aim for a bit of art. There was also progression. Few were shocked when Madonna made the decisions she did. Sex was implied from Like A Virgin on.

Going from kids TV star to literally waving a dick in people’s faces is a unique form of rebellion.

It is one thing to appear in body paint and a small pair of pants and another to appear with a strap on erect penis though isnt it? It is just bizare. What is she trying to say to us? I’m down with my lesbian sisters? More like my music is rubbish but I need to sell records and concert seats so I will be outrageous as possible so people talk about me. It worked for Madonna but then Madonna made half decent music. Fortunately she also drew the line at strap ons.You can just imagine the meeting. Right, we have done twerking and I have flashed various bits of my body, how can we rack it up? I know, a cock! Really, someone needs to have told her no.

I have been thinking about this some more (not the picture). At the end of your career what would you rather be remembered for? Your music, like Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell, Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross and the like. Or grinding your arse into a bloke’s crotch and wearing a dildo? As Pap says, maybe it is an age thing but I still think that talent will outlive gimmickery.

2 Likes

I tried something like that at a works Christmas party once… I can tell you now it 100% does nothing for your career!!!

7 Likes

Isn’t that Justin Bieber?

The really frustrating thing, the album that all ofthis crap was promoting was surprisingly good. Without some of the crass, and what felt rather forced and contrived antics, the album in of itself could have served to distance her from her Hannah Montana past.

Well perhaps she will get past the silly PR antics eventually and be know for her work. I wonder if this image is something that she is driving or whether she has been told to do it by her advisers?

1 Like

Reminds me of this.

1 Like

I find topless Miley with a strap on, posted on this forum, waaaaay less off putting that the multiple topless photos of women that were posted and removed in the early days of this forum. And given it’s Pap who posted it, who was also uncomfortable with the multiple topless photos of women that were posted in the early days of this forum in case his daughters saw them, that alone says a lot.