Summer 2017 transfer window

At least Arsenal still have Wellbeck to start up front…

2 Likes
1 Like

Would have liked another attacking midfielder or pacey winger but overall I think most fans would have taken keeping our best players and signing two promising talents from Juventus and Lazio.

In the absence of said player I would like to see Boufal given a decent run of games to see if he’s going to cut the mustard. Tadic gets picked regardless of how useless he is so why can’t Boufal be given the same treatment.

COYS

5 Likes

If we can’t get our targets I would rather we didn’t then just buy for the sake of it. A good window and fair play to uncle Les for keeping VD (to the amazement of many bedwetters on Fiverweb). MP just needs to get perfectly good players to score.

2 Likes

I think we’re all forgetting the loan window opens shortly. Not ideal but if it becomes obvious we need reinforcements it’s always an option.

There will be quite a few useful players who failed to agree terms during this window who will still be looking at opportunities to further their careers.

Does the loan window operate for the Premiership?

Watching transfer stuff on sky Germany in Berlin and it is much more low key and normal with non of the the UK historical car window fuckfaceflaps dealing fuckwitfansbehindskynobodyactingtwats - why are the UK such fannies about this?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

1 Like
1 Like

Phone call from his agent?

Liverpool offering anything he likes, just to get someone in to replace the bloke that wants to go to a bigger club?

2 Likes

See Arry is up to his normal wheeling & dealing. 13 summer signings… the bloke is unhinged and a bit of a loose cannon!

Oh oh and a fucking twitchy cockwomble!

2 Likes

Question.

Spanish Window is still open until 11pm tonight.

Coutinho can still go to Barca today (oh wouldn’t that be funneh)

But the question is : Can we still sign Vietto on loan?

1 Like

I would say its been a pretty poor transfer window unless we are going to play a poor 7 at the back.

The 2 CBs we have bought arnt prooven. The Polish lad is Gardos standard so not first team. The dutch lad Im hoping is Ok but if he cant get in the Lazio team then its a big question mark. Plus if he is left footed does that mean he can only play in Van Dykes place. Im not sure.

I like the look of the juventus midfielder but he will need time as he hasnt done anything special in the 2 games so far. His best asset on show is he must be a tough bastard to play on after Noble ripped him

Claise for me is on a par with JWP and holburg and Davis but definatly have more potential than Davis. J rod I would have let go but saying that he is a definate goal scorer so for a team lacking goals its questionable. .

Overall I think it is safe to say the squad and first team are getting weaker over time. The faint hope is Pelligrino can cast some magic to make the mid field actually be able to pass a ball to each other during a game. And i dont mean sideways and back

Phew! Good on ya mate…I thought for a minute you were going to put a positive slant on things. :lou_lol:

10 Likes

I feel like we’re stronger squad than last season, and being that we’ve got no cups to worry about ( :lou_sad:) we ought to be in for an impressive league campaign Hopefully.

1 Like

Nonsense as usual NYC :lou_eyes_to_sky:

2 Likes

MP has his work cut out. He needs to find the Tadic that we know is in there and get the best out of Redmond and Boufel. Once Virgil removes his head from his arse we should be pretty solid at the back which hopefully will breed confidence going forward. We have the people, we need to see the best of them.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Exactly. However, I would argue that getting more out of just one of them would see an improvement in our play and probably results.

I will admit to have all but given up on Tadic. I find him infuriating. He seems to be carrying a massive chip on his shoulder and I don’t know why. Perhaps because no ‘big’ clubs have ever come in for him and he isn’t as good as he thinks he is? I also cannot see Redmond ‘making it’ in to a player destined for the top. Happy to be wrong about that but it is just my view at this time. As I mentioned in a thread yesterday, Boufal is still largely an unknown due to a lack of consistent game time. Therefore I would not complain if he was given an extended run in the side, even if he fails to impress initially.

Gabby makes fantastic runs and is deceptively quick, as he showed for his goal against West Ham. The problem has been we don’t have anybody who immediately gets their head up and looks for a forward pass. There is still too much emphasis of possession and ball retention, largely from Puel’s legacy. We need to shake off the obsession that both centre backs, a full back and then Romeu need to touch the ball before we make progress up the pitch.

That said, from what I have seen of Hoedt online, he seems to like spraying a long ball and as we know, this is also a strength of VVD. So if/when he gets back in the side, maybe the centre backs will take responsibility and act as almost quarter backs. I see nothing wrong with playing a few long balls when you have got Gabby or Long in the side, especially against teams who play a high line.

For those who are doubting Hoedt or suggest he is unproven, all I would say is that Saints have proven pretty damned good at scouting centre backs over the years so I see no reason why Les and Ross would cock it up now. The lad plays for Holland, who whilst not great in recent times, would probably still beat good old England.

Paul Merson gave us a grade ‘C’ for our transfer business which I think is a little harsh. Whilst we haven’t made any Hollywood signings for huge amounts, that was never going to be our style. I believe Lemina and Hoedt will be improvements on those playing in those positions last year and we have retained the services of our best players who I had envisaged would be definitely leaving (VVD and Bertrand). The only shame perhaps was Rodriguez. I would have liked to see him play from the left again rather than up front on his own but presumably the coaches couldn’t see that working for whatever reason (lost a yard of pace?).

But for me the most important business was not selling VVD. Regardless of whether he ever kicks a ball for us again or rots in the stands, I believe that the message keeping him sent out - that we will not be bullied by ‘big’ clubs and their ex-pros and media agendas, and if you sign a contract that says you will stay for at least two years but then you agitate to leave and act like a little punk after one - will at least signify to future players that remaining professional and respecting their contracts is in their best interests. Let’s be honest, it is gunna be fucking awkward for VVD if/when he eventually walks out at St Mary’s again. In some future instances it may be the difference between a player acting up publicly to force a move or them getting their head down and reaching an agreement with the club in private.

So all in all I feel that this window has been pretty decent. More symbolically so perhaps, but certainly better than a ‘C’ grade. It isn’t often we make a net spend in a transfer window.

So fair play Les, Ralph and Kat. You remained true to your word and I apologise for doubting you!

10 Likes