Super Kelvin Davis - Testimonial

I do hope they get Nigel back to manage the old boys.

This is going to be Epic - hope its being streamed somewhere somehow

1 Like

Lee Barnard just confirmed - squad’s definitely getting there. Ticket sales are pretty abysmal though. :lou_sad:

Surely worth the entry fee for the Lambert vs Le Tissier penalty shoot-out alone?

1 Like

It’s looking like it’s heading that way. We’re getting the band back together after all. Would be nice to see Nige put out an honest hardworking group of professionals :lou_sunglasses:

1 Like

Loads more players confirmed, including Richard Chaplow. Could be quite awkward if he realises I unfollowed him on Twitter :lou_sunglasses:

Jaidi, Hammond, Sharp, Lambert, Holmes, Barnard, Chaplow, Cork, Martin, Bart

Are the names I have heard so far - any more ?

What a night :confused:

Looking forward to this one. Great servant through some of the toughest times and back to the top league. Let’s hope a few more tickets go over the weekend as looks like there are plenty left.

Can someone get me a programme if I paypal them the money or something ?

Yeah, if not sold out.

cheers bud, we’ll Pm a bit closer to the time

1 Like

Frankly if those names don’t evoke good memories you’ve fucking missed out.

2 Likes

Adkins is managing the Promotion XI!

4 Likes

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Originally posted by @Sussexsaint

Can someone get me a programme if I paypal them the money or something ?

Yeah, if not sold out.

Are you down for this?

Great news!

1 Like

I know that RB and GB have weighed in on the drinks thread. Cheers to RB for popping into the Farmhouse and saying hello. Tell your SiL I get better with names with practice. Just ask SO5.

I really want to write about the experience though. I didn’t stay on for Kelv’s speech, and will get onto it later, but I was there at the final whistle, very grateful for what I’d seen, and what I’d experienced.

This game was supposed to be lighthearted and a bit of fun, wasn’t it? It certainly had enough moments of engineered and spontaneous levity. What it was really about was saying goodbye, and not just to Kelv.

We rose through those leagues so quickly, the gaps between each one so large, that we ended up shipping a fuckton of players. We never really got to say goodbye to any of those players (or Nigel), something that I am sure was in the back of Kelvin’s mind when asked what he’d like to do for the occasion. If Kelvin had any part in the composition or direction of this testimonial, then fuck the Leeds game where he kept out all comers. This was simply the classiest play he has ever made.

With some notable exceptions, it was Saints old vs Saints new. Garnish? Fuck off! I’ve never been so conflicted at a Saints game in my life! I booed a Saints new goal, and became a Promotions XI ultra within the first half hour, and with the gait of man eating a prawn sandwich, switched sides in the second. tbf, Kelv did this too, but even so, football fans. Fickle, eh?

The chanting was ace and tart. I do not say this lightly. Legends were abused. But they took it in good grace. MLT got “you’re just a shit Rickie Lambert” aimed in his particular direction when his penalty contest went south. When Promotions XI went 5-3 down, a chorus of “you’re getting sacked in the morning” went out to Nige.

He won’t mind, and nor will Ronald mind the adulation scooped on the old manager. For every “there’s only one Nigel Adkins”, Koeman got the equivalent song quickly thereafter.

My first testimonial, and if you’ve never been, completely different to a friendly. The ground wasn’t full, but most bits that were populated were packed.

If I was going to nitpick, there was no real point to whacking Kelv’s charity logo on the 125 anniversary shirt. I loved that the shirt was unblemished by sponsors, and technically, it still is, but they made it look shit when the same advert was running all around the ground. They should also consider a cash turnstile for low cost games. The ticket office lines were ridiculous, and thankfully something I didn’t have to deal with.

More than anything else I’ve experienced as a Saints fan, this really did feel like the end of a chapter, more so than promotion to the PL. At the peak of my Promotions XI ultra phase, I was thinking “yeah, you expensively assembled superstars are only here on the backs of these promotion lads”

It’s a very welcome reminder that allows us to see Kelvin in the proper context. The bloke who turned down a better contract at higher division West Ham when we were on the bones of our arses because he thought he could do something here.

Well done Kelv. You fucking did, mush.

16 Likes

Nice to hear Kelvin saying in his speech that we have the right manager to take us forward. Hope the board were listening.

Just watched the game unfold on twitter last night - they put clips up of goals etc.

Was quite emotional and misted up more than a few times. It clearly meant a lot to the returning players and Nige as well, as Nige said in his video the banter flew the second they all got back into the dressing room again.

Considering all that happened whilst he was here was nice to see Puch put a cameo in,

Wish I could have been there to pay my respects. Anyone who stuck with us during those days is deserving of our gratitude.

And to think when we signed him we were roundly mocked by Sunderland fans as ‘Kelvin the Clown’ - well he has earned in place as a Southampton legend and i hope he stays on

4 Likes

who won the Lambart vs LeTiss penalty Face Off?

Edit: Soz I’ve seen answer in pap post now soz well done Lambart

Somone on TSW said Poch was there - did anyone see him ?

Sat next to Alex Ferguson?