The 2016 close season transfers thread

Despite sepnding big in the window Chelsea have 38 players out on loan!!!

Southampton have 3

free photo hosting

10 Likes

Completely understand the reasoning behind loaning out a young player to get him playing time and a bit of experience under his belt

… but 38 players out on loan ???.. WTF … that’s two matchday squads !! Whats more, historically, none of them are ever likely to get near the Chelsea first team. Who the fuck are advising these kids ?

Don’t get it at all.

To make it worse, one of them (Nathan Baxter) has been loaned to the Metropolitan Police. I mean, it’s one thing sending the young players out on loan, but (a) how will it help Baxter be a better footballer and (b) what use is Baxter going to be when the riots all kick off (which they will, mark my words).

4 Likes

Obviously not 73 Management

Random fact - the music that the met police run on to is I fought the law by the clash

2 Likes

Fuck me, think I caught second-hand depression from reading the other place.

I don’t think this window has been too bad - we’ve sold players for big money (again) and replaced them with young, talented players that can grow with the club. Hojbjerg especially looks like a steal and I will be very interested to see where Boufal and Redmond fit into the team with the competition we have in attack.

All in all, we’re left with a competitive squad, good youngsters coming through and a team very capable of achieving a Top 8/10 finish with a good run in the Europa League. What more could you ask for?

6 Likes

I would add to that a good domestic cup run Mikey. Preferably winning one, I don’t care which, but if possible FA cup please :lou_smiley:

1 Like

As this thread is about the transfer window in general, here’s a thing I heard today from a colleague who’s a Chelsea supporter. He reckons that a contributor to one of their forums reckoned over a year ago that the transfer of David Luiz to PSG infringed some UEFA regulations (FFP probably) and that, as a result, Chelsea would almost certainly have to buy him back sooner or later.

Now, I have no idea whatsoever about the veracity of this. However, it’s almost impossibly hard to see why Chelsea would want to pay anything for David Luiz, and apparently their fans aren’t exactly mega-chuffed about it. Were I a Chelsea supporter neither would I be.

3 Likes

With you on all the signings. A definite step up in class. If Boufal and højbejerg do well, we really will be the destination of choice for up and coming players from abroad(Redmond will just reinforce it here). Think we are OK up front as well, with Rodriguez back and Austin looking OK(considering game time). Def/mid a worry as although i like Romeu, i’m not sure he’s ready to be the only d/f(assuming we play the diamond). Another c/b was needed as well. Guess we’ll just have to hope Maya can cut out that 10% of stupidly he posses(doubtful, so better pray Gardos gets fit miraculously quick, assuming he’ll ever be any good). Still happy though, as at the moment all i’m seeing is progression. Up to Claude now to make it work. I give him 6-8 league games or 2 Euro(whichever happens first) before i have any view on him as our manager.

What more? Another cup final

2 Likes

Just when you thought it was all done till January. Caceres free agent being looked at by Saints according to Mirror. Get him on board I say

Positives :

1. He’s available,

2. He’s a central defender who can also play left/right back

3. Has a fine pedigree (Villareal, Barca and Juventus first teamer)

4. His full name is Jose Martin Caceras Silva and obviously anyone with ‘_Silva’ _in their name must be a good footballer.

Negatives :

1. According to the Daily Mirror

2. He’s Uraguayan … South Americans haven’t really worked out for us in the past

3. Hasn’t played since January when he ruptured his achilles tendon

4. 29 years old which, at a guess, would mean a longer recovery time from the above

Verdict :

Who knows? Risky but good merchandising potential from ‘Silva’ shirt sales

Will he be able to score for us? Stick him up front.

1 Like

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

1. Hasn’t played since January when he ruptured his achilles tendon

2. 29 years old which, at a guess, would mean a longer recovery time from the above

Well, I ruptured my achilles playing 5-a-side 5 years ago now, I’m now 47, I still sometimes limp, can’t stand on tiptoe on my right peg. etc. etc.

Oh I can play 5 a-side (not as well as before) and ride a bike and all that shit but sometimes, you know, it just fucking aches.

I haven’t tried playing squash since I ruptured it and I don’t think I want to try.

can you play up front?

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Fatso

can you play up front?

If you don’t expect me to move a lot or chase things down then yes!!

2 Likes

Originally posted by @BTripz

1. Hasn’t played since January when he ruptured his achilles tendon

2. 29 years old which, at a guess, would mean a longer recovery time from the above

Well, I ruptured my achilles playing 5-a-side 5 years ago know, I’m now 47, I still sometimes limp, can’t stand on tiptoe on my right peg. etc. etc.

Oh I can play 5 a-side (not as well as before) and ride a bike and all that shit but sometimes, you know, it just fucking aches.

I haven’t tried playing squash since I ruptured it and I don’t think I want to try.

So he’s fucked then !! … that’ll be why Juve haven’t renewed his contract

can you play up front?

If you don’t expect me to move and lot or chase things down then yes!!

Sounds like we found our Pelle replacement.

5 Likes

1. He’s Uraguayan … South Americans haven’t really worked out for us in the past
1 Like

can you play up front?

If you don’t expect me to move and lot or chase things down then yes!!

Great news, Bob!

The Long Bob combo is where it’s at, these days.

1 Like