The cloven hooved one's official match thread: The mighty Demons vs the slickly sweet stuff

Good performance against a woeful team in more trouble than us, on its own its great but I’m not letting it paper over the cracks.

1 Like

Baz… Any thoughts???

1 Like

Blow me… FOUR goals!

MASSIVE WIN THAT.

Hard to ignore how shit Everton were but we still had to put them to bed and I’m very pleased we didn’t sit back after getting the second goal. Scoring the third so soon afterwards killed them.

As a team we played well but special mentions for Hojberg who I thought was MOTM, Bertrand and Cedric for continually bombing forward. Boufal is settling in nicely now and worked very hard defensively.

A perfect game for Austin in terms of being able to play large periods of the game in their box. The manager has not always realised this so perhaps this is the start of things to come. Finding a way to play both him and Gabbiadini is something we should be looking at, because neither really deserves to be sitting on their arse in my opinion.

Overall a very welcome 3 points.

9 Likes

Ah, you already did just before me…

So predictable.

2 Likes

No Barry, don’t for one minute let your negativity go. We need you to remind us how bad TSW is.

1 Like

Enjoyed that.

I thought everyone had a pretty decent game with Hojbjerg exceptional in what was his first game of the season…he’ll improve with more games. :lou_wink_2:

Soares, Tadic, Charlie, Boufal, JWP, Bert, Hoedt all had very effective games. The passing was a joy to watch for large parts of the game…the pace and accuracy of passing looked like the players were having a lot of fun…I was. :lou_lol:

Basically they were mixing it up…something we’d been begging for, for months. I hope this is the turning point in the game where the manager finally gets his message through after the abject submission of the week before.

If we play with the pace and control we showed today we can give even the top sides in the league a tough game.

5 Likes

Hoiberg being praised on here, SWF and the BBC single him out. Sky on the other hand rate him 6/10 though not sure that should be taken seriously given that in their in-match on line commentary they endlessly called Bertrand “Redmond”. Silly fuckers.

Edit… interesting stat: Austin the first saints striker to score two headers in a game since beattie in 2002.

1 Like

Yeah I just saw that. Forster got a higher rating without having to make any truly meaningful saves. Strange.

He’ll be very unlucky to lose his place in mid week. But with it being City, I expect he will.

BTW I like to single out another for high praise…Ronnie Cowman for leaving Everton is such a sorry mess.

Thanks. :lou_lol:

5 Likes

We just need to get him to manage the other 18 and we could win the league

3 Likes

Well bugger me backwards. Didn’t see that coming.

great performance by the team.

Everton are really in the shit. Their players don’t give a toss

3 Likes

Very good win, very good performance too. As others have said, Hojbjerg and JWP were excellent, but there were no sub-par performances today. I don’t think we did anything radically different to what we’ve been doing all season - we just did it better today.

5 Likes

We didnt have Redmond running in circles and losing possession all the time

2 Likes

Tadic was good. That’s all. :innocent:

3 Likes

The same player that made more passes(96) than any other Saints player and the most tackles.

2 Likes

Just spent the past hour scraping the egg off my face, that stuff sticks like shit to a blanket. A great result, let’s hope lessons are learned, we must start with JWP and Austin, play to our strengths. Ward-Prowse was superb today, he is a class act, a dead ball situation or corner, no-one in the Prem has a better delivery, always gives you a chance of a goal. Sublime skill for the fourth goal. But let’s not get carried away. Man City away midweek, down to earth with a bump.

5 Likes

Against Burnley we created as many chances and had as many shots on target as we did today - probably our best shot that day was by Redmond, needing a very good save to keep it out. But you’re quite right; it’s all down to Redmond not being on the pitch today.

'uddersfield were unlucky against Citeh - I reckon we’re in with a chance of a point ot three if we play as well as today…

Euphemism?

5 Likes