The cloven hooved one's official match thread: The mighty Demons vs the slickly sweet stuff

Churl alert.

Great result, PvH was indeed excellent, I’d also single out Bertrand (and maybe Cedric) for his constant forward runs, and you can only beat what’s in front of you BUT Everton posed almost zero threat and went missing as a team.

In that context I really don’t think you can learn much about our players* - other than if City play like Everton, we’ll do alright.

Ok churl alert over.

Fucking great to see such positivity. The Tadic goal was an exemplar for how we have to break on transitions. Three brilliant quick passes and a sublime finish.

Oh, and I could have been there today (thanks SO5) but went for the all you can eat Chinese meal instead.

Gutted.

Literally.

*Austin aside, perhaps, as his performance suggests he doesn’t need 10 chances to find the net once.

7 Likes

Great win, 4 in one game. We took about 14home games to get 4goals before that! Say8ng this, if we keep the points above the games played number, we will be fine. Everton are terrible, let’s not pretend anything else, but they are still a premier league team, who will stay up.

2 Likes

Highlights

1 Like

Also I do think it is a shame, the way the fixtures have fallen, as we could do with carrying this momentum forward.

1 Like

I’m all for one swallow not making a summer and it may well be the case that this turns out to be a flash in the pan, but that was a very assured win and to dominate the second half the way we did having conceded at probably the worst possible time to concede was very encouraging.

The manager has deservedly bought himself a stay of execution in my book and will certainly at least get a good half-dozen more games to try and show this wasn’t a fluke or one-off.

6 Likes

This was a massive win. The Guan led revolution would of gained more momentum had we lost. Even C B Fry had rewritten the lyrics to I Will Survive FFS so things were looking grim. There is still a long way to go back at the very least it showed that no matter how much the bed setters thought we were already doomed, the fact is there are plenty of teams much worse than us. Wouldn’t be great if Everton went down? Especially as they were being held up as the club we should be aspiring to be not so long ago. Well done Mauricio. Now use this to kick on.

3 Likes

Amazed Guan wi’ his badself gets such a following whilst being more vague than Mystic Meg. That said this 4-1 victory won’t cut any slack with many swebbers. They’re Pelligrouts to the core.

1 Like

Called it!

1 Like

We FINALLY went with 3 CBs at the end.

But ended up having a line of 5 at the back not 3 as the fbs dropped deep.

Interesting stats on Hjoberg only 4 tackles obviously could tackle anyone if they didn’ have the ball.

Redmond - I stand on my glad he was dropped line. Yesterday Boufal was banging 40 yard passes into space on the opposie wing to Cedric which kept momentum and carved them open. Equally his & JWPs flicks & touches worked far better than Redmonds lack of precision again kept momentum and moved the ball so much quicker.

Romney looked 2 yards off the pace against Liverpool and not at his excellent best before that. Again PEH had much more energy.

We FINALLY moved the ball at pace. Need to do that against Bompey. Not sure it will help us against citeh though.

Best praise? We FINALLY looked like a Saints team yesterday. Let’ hope Chazza isn’ cricket again

1 Like

Romeu Stats this season 12 appearances

Defence Tackles 39

Tackle Success % 82%

Blocked Shots 3

Interceptions 19

Clearances 20

Headed Clearance 12

Recoveries 99

Duels Won 88

Duels Lost 79

Successful 50/50 s 3

Aerial Battles Won 36

Aerial Battles Lost 34

Errors Leading To Goal 0

Hojbjerg “2” appearances

Defence Tackles 5

Tackle Success % 100%

Blocked Shots 0

Interceptions 3

Clearances 1

Headed Clearance 1

Recoveries 20

Duels Won 10

Duels Lost 4

Successful 50/50s 1

Aerial Battles Won 1

Aerial Battles Lost 0

Errors Leading To Goal 0

Interesting that in “one” game his stats were better than Romeu’s average this season Also he had 100% pass success rate against Romeu who appears to have only 70%. But can he deliver on a cold Wednesday night in Manchester? Will he recover in time? Will MoPe be conservative and pick the safe option. And no I didn’t put this in a build up thread as I’m going to be travelling pretty mush until 5th Jan and ain’t gonna be that reliable at posting on here while avoiding landmines in the Jungle or freezing my tits off at a Christmas Market in Poland!

1 Like

And finally.

JWP’s control and touch for our 4th goal yesterday was sublime. Dear MoPe - JWP is NOT a DM, he is NOT a #10, but he is a bloody decent right sided midfield player.

Yes he did switch sides (ala Tadic & Redmond) but praise to MoPe in that it lasted about 5 minutes!

Boufal & Bert JWP & Cedric was just a different level from what we have seen with Tadic & Redmond in those pairings. Let’s try and build on that

5 Likes

Who has drawn the short straw for the Man City game?

I think @pap should take it for trying to steal @areloa-grandee thunder from the Toffee game.

6 Likes

just watched our second goal again. It was a classic. If we cant accomodate Boufal in our team something is wrong. The pass to Bertrand to cross to CA was perfect

5 Likes

Still smiling

4 Likes

Excellent performance. PEH was dynamic and it helps that he plays about 10 to 15 yeards further up the pitch than Romeu has this season. Pushes the midfield up and makes us more threatening. Austin’s movement to get into goal scoring positions is a breath of fresh air and Boufal is benefitting from a run in the team. JWP also very good. Everton are a very poor team, but we did well when we needed to, so very happy with that performance.

4 Likes

It is rare that I can actually look forward to watching an episode of MotD (or, in this case, MotD 2), but I did last night - in fact, I sat and watched the whole thing. Kevin Kilbane and Martin Keown spent most of their analysis bemoaning the plight of Everton (which I guess was fair enough). For CA’s goals, Mark Chapman asked whether some goals were ‘indefensible’ (he meant undefendable) and Martin Keown quickly retorted with a ‘no’.

2 Likes

Some of the ones we have concceeded this season have been

4 Likes

Good call from me!

I still can’t tell if Pellegrino is going to be a Good Manager For Us, but I wonder if any of those dumbasses on saintsweb are shifting a bit uncomfortable, thinking hmm maybe he is not the absolute clueless chancer we was making out. I suspect not tho.

Pellegrino looked v.stylish on Sunday in his slim cut blue trenchcoat I thought! A nice counterpoint to that fat mess Unsworth, in his ill fitting v-neck jumper from George at Asda £12,99.

7 Likes

Not a chance…they’ve invested too much of their meagre intellects to back-track even if we end up in 7th place. :lou_wink_2:

2 Likes

He is giving Ruddock a run for his money for post retirement weight gain

I take it the U23 in his job title refers to stone.

3 Likes