The day we'll all look back on with fond memories

I was chatting with an Austrailian S&M lady in Antwerp a couple of weeks ago (no shit). She says services like she offers are very popular with ‘the cream’ in Brussels.

1 Like

Why do you think that’s going to be a problem Barry?

Do you work in the industry or do you have any actual facts that you’d like to share?

Are you authorised to give financial advice Barry?

The FCA might be reading this and could land you with a large fine…

:lou_wink_2:

Read the pressers ffs it’s 100 jobs only

It’s a branch office every uk company will need to do it likewise Easyjet will need to open EU Subsidiary to operate.

Just as every EU Bank/business will have to open in UK

For me, it’s the day that my neighbours told me they couldn’t give a fuck about my kids.

But that’s fine, cos I just killed their cat.

6 Likes

a rather disappointing 3, with the last being an unruly affair.

3 Likes

No I simply know people won’t go to boring expensive places, would you leave London for Dublin, Brussels or Luxembourg? There are big corps based in Ireland and Switzerland solely for tax reasons (they have large offices elswwhere but for tax reasons base there) and they have a huge trouble recruiting there, how do I know? From experience and job offers my wife has had over the years there and I know someone who works in the industry for placements and it is an issue.

Don’t belive me if you don’t want to just do the common sense route, I’ve been to Brussels and Dublin and I presume you have, prefer to London?

Am I fuck, common sense thats all.

Been to both Brussels and Dublin Barry. Both have their charms. Less up their own arse compared to London, and all three have areas that are right shite-holes that you wouldn’t want to loiter in.

I work in London for now because that’s where the money is & the kids are both still at home. Give it 2 or 3 years and me and Mrs C_S may well consider working in the EU. Assuming May doesn’t fuck it all up and UK nationals are still welcome (as migrants)

1 Like

Of course they will be, you I assumed are skilled so you’ll be welcomed anywhere anyway so whats the drama? Getting a lot of highly skilled people to leave a place like London for Dublin or Brussels will be a tough sell, they know this. this is why they’replaying down the move, its only 100 anyway.

100 initially, with expectations to grow that number…

That’s only the Lloyds corporation, not the underwriting agencies. Which will be a lot more

On BBC News half an hour ago they were playing this down saying they may put more in other Cities as well (Frankfurt,Paris), so not a direct move per se just a sensible business response, there’ll always be a presence here and it’ll be the headquarters, not me what they said.

Captain’s log, stardate 2045…

TV news. Scientists confirm their longheld fears that the huge meteorite they’ve been tracking for two decades is still heading straight for us and tomorrow the world will end.

Barry. No it won’t.

_ _

6 Likes

No it won’t.

1 Like

Hardly Derby are they?

We’ll be alright. Part of the sadness of Brexit has been the realisation that so many Britons seem so cowed by it all, or seem to think we’re going to develop far right tendencies despite us not hugely bothering when far right tendencies were all the rage. We’ve always had twats that will hurt others on the basis of race, but never a majority. We’ve always been a polite country, even when we were absorbing other parts of the world into our former Empire. In the 20th century, we also demonstrated that we were a largely tolerant country. We’ve had our dark moments. People bang on about Enoch Powell, but for me, the Tory campaign material in Smethwick was far worse.

It has been sixty years since the huge influx of postwar immigrants to this country, and we’re comfy with each other. They may not be statistically correctly represented in Parliament, but both the Lords and the Commons do have BAME representation, and more.

I know that like myself, many of the other posters on this site are in skilled positions that dole out more than your minimum wage. We are a minority. I work with loads of people on minimum wage and have utmost respect for their professionalism. One of the English lads I know works three jobs seven days a week. He doesn’t get a day off, and he does all this just so that he can enjoy a decent standard of living, or as much as one can get in seven days a week.

The biggest blunder that was ever made was free movement of labour at the scale it was practiced, compounded by the 2004 expansion, and amplified domestically by New Labour’s cynical decision to waive the seven year wait for newly acceded countries. It was predicated on Mandelson’s incredible delusion that immigrant voters would ensure perpetual New Labour votes, perhaps forgetting that their traditional voters might need jobs, homes or services too. Or that it might turn otherwise good people a bit right wing at the ballot box.

No matter what he might have said recently, David Cameron was not right on his Brexit call. The referendum was a happy accident. Senior civil servants are on record saying that he forbade any planning for a Leave outcome.

Whatever. It’s done, and so in my view, is the Remain case, utterly self-defeating from the start. A perpetual blind spot over the anti-democratic nature of the EU, revisionist assertions that the EU was the fountain of all workers’ rights, a complete failure to notice that the Tories could wreak merry hell, whatever the supra-national political arrangements, and had actually done so for the past six years. Worst of all, Remain told a nation of perennial copers imbued with an independent spirit that they wouldn’t be able to cope independently.

1 Like

The thing still lost to so many people Southerners is many who have nothing, have been shat on by successive Governments and have no prospects at all do not consider a threat of woe as anything to be worried by, they have already been shat upon and what can be taken away? The leave campaign gave them some hope or equality with the Souths possible suffering if it all goes tits up, they’ll have that as Thatcher hardly scraped the South as she did the North.

A scorched earth policy yes possibly, but one I understand now I live up here, worrying about a house price, living wage, mortgage, prospects, career or a job even is all well and good to worry about if you have that or them, if not? What have they got, nothing.

I understand why the vote happened, and I respect it.

1 Like

Julie Burchill nailed it a while ago.

"Everyone in London seems to be fuming all the time — although, to be fair, fuming has become the default setting of our time. Historically, it’s the sexually repressed, swivel-eyed Daily Mail reader who fumes hardest, but ever since last June 23, when the glorious chaotic dawn of Brexit was revealed, liberals have been fuming up a storm with all the parasexual frustration of fat-fingered One Direction fans tweeting hatred about the paternity of Cheryl’s baby.

Tempering, tantruming and thweatening to thwceam till they’re sick, it’s hard not to feel that what’s making them the most angry isn’t the alleged racism of Brexiteers or the alleged financial ruin waiting just around the corner. No, the reason the Remnants hate us so much is because after lifetimes of flattering themselves that they’re progressive, adventurous and daring, they now stand revealed as a veritable mothers’ meeting of doom-mongering, curtain-twitching, tut-tutting stick-in-the-muds.

The pathetic petulance which has come from the Remnants in the face of our victory stems from the fact that many of those who prided themselves on being rebels were, actually, just a differently styled part of the status quo-embracing establishment all along. And it is for robbing them of their illusions about themselves that we Brexiteers will not be forgiven."

2 Likes

It’s only when you leave Blighty that you understand how right the Aussies were in their Whingeing Poms attitude.

Pap & Bazzas’ posts above show that.

The EU was always such an easy target as it was always not what we were sold by Ted Heath.

Now the Poms will find everything towhinge about and anyone who finds positives will be weird

3 Likes

I think you’re right @dubai_phil , this thread and t’other Brexit one shows the people are carefully choosing their arguments to suit their personal view (or to wind up other posters) and moaning when someone else had a different, but equally valid point of view…

My personal view is that the vote was deeply flawed and the small majority vote probably doesn’t reflect a true picture. The fact that the Govt allowed the vote in the form that it was undertaken was appalling. Those in favour of Brexit don’t mind because they got the result they wanted. They’d be arguing just like the remainers if the vote went the other way…

3 Likes