The inaugural Sotonians Transfer Deadline Day thread

Looking like Levy’s brinkmanship has completely misfired. What a shame for the bloke.

Edit: corrected completed to completely, daft typo. Sozza.

5 Likes

Good good!

Right off to bed… Hold on!

Watford are an interesting proposition. They have signed fifteen players in this window. Fifteen! You can see the logic behind it. Most new PL teams need a sharp increase in quality, and Watford’s Championship recruitment strategy, loaning players from clubs that belong to the same owners, lessens the impact of stalwarts getting upset. But still, what a gamble.

2 Likes

Happy days! Man Utd have had a complete 'mare. Rooney gets injured or suspended and they are relying on Martial up front.

Spurs. LOL.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Happy days! Man Utd have had a complete 'mare. Rooney gets injured or suspended and they are relying on Martial up front.

Three years in a row now. An absolute fucking fortune spent. Nil trophies. That cannot go on forever.

Spurs. LOL.

Wankers. According to MLT, they offered us less for Wanyama than we paid for him. And we should give you a discount because…

2 Likes

Les sums up…no serious offer for Victor…plays down any problem with him…

3 Likes

Lacked the frenzied excitement of last year; nevertheless, I’m happy with the way the day - indeed, the whole window - has panned out. A creative midfielder would have been nice; but, overall, I reckon we’ve got a pretty good squad in place.

Btw, I’ve completely loss track of what’s happened to Gaston Ramirez; is he still around?

We’re not getting the plaudits yet because we’ve only had one win against a depleted Norwich side, but I like the squad we’ve got this year. I’ve got a feeling that VVD could turn out to be the cake, and not just the icing on it. In truth, every acquisition I have seen play is doing well, and we’ve only seen a little of Clasie.

When we’ve got everyone back, even if Big Vic isn’t up for it, we’re going to have a team with attack minded full-backs, attack-minded defenders and tons of competition in midfield, and for the most part, up front. The only worry I’ve got is that we haven’t got another Pelle, but the substitutions we’ve made so far seem to indicate that RK has a plan without him.

1 Like

Happy with the squad. The only two posiions that I feel we could have strenthened are goalkeeper (though this will be looking a good deal healthier once FF is back) and the no.10 attacking midfielder (though good ones of these are like rocking horse shit).

Otherwise I think we have considerably more depth than last year.

Interesting stat that I heard: Arsenal are the only club in Europe’s top 5 leagues to have not signed an outfield player.

Wonder how they’re feeling about that.

Can’t expect the fans to be too happy. Don’t really understand it, myself. There should be plenty of money available to Wenger this year.

Spurs have got to be among the real losers this window. They’ve behaved badly in their dealings with other clubs, and have unsettled two players in other teams without actually offering any serious money. Jeremy Peace, the West Brom chairman, had a proper go at them yesterday over Berahino. If they’re not careful, they could quite easily end up in a situation where people just don’t want to deal with them.

2 Likes

A very pleasant karaoke night last night with 2 Mancs & a Spud for company. Oh boy are they unhappy. For every jibe about “How are you lot doing in europe?” I was able to retort with "do you guys need training on Adobe? or “What is it like to be broke in this era of TV deals”

Seriosuly, Levy is a laughing stock. 5 million up front? What arrogance. Clearly having spunked the Bale cash on a fleet of numpties and having to rebuild the stadium they are cash starved, but he carried on as if they were still Billy Big Bollox. Did Levy ever study finance in Poorsmuff? It would be great if WBA take things further with a complaint against Levy. It also leaves MoPo in the poo with only one striker as well.

It would be unfair on Trotter Trading to call Levy a Barrow Boy, he brings the London wheeler dealer into disrepute.

And Utd. Van Gaal has the same record as Moyes after 50 games, had done a great job of rebuidling their midfield then forgets about attack and defence. Basically with a CL season meaning something close to 60 games he has no rotation available to him other than an inexperienced kid (who may well be the next Messi, but won’t yet be able to do it every week)

2 Likes

Very happy that we have manage to keep hold of a key midfielder again. Hopefully he will get his head together and have an even better season than last. Then I have no doubt he will be off next summer.

Looking forward to the season. Oh and all the speculation in January! I do not think any key players will leave in January, unless we have a replacement lined up.

1 Like

Bradley Johnson@ BradJohnson_15

I had a great time at Norwich & Hove Albion but waking up this morning as a Derby City player is a great feeling. Can’t wait to get started.

Lol Epic fail

To be honest I think it’s pretty disgusting what Levy has tried to do, underhand tactics at best, he should be seriously censured by the FA and Spuds should be banned from the transfer market for the next 2 seasons.

How do you stop it though? All deals have to be kept quite until complete? Impossible to police methinks.

At the moment the MO of the “big” clubs seems to be :- Leake a rumour that you have bid for a player, make him unsettled and not much use to the team, then the club have not much choice but to sell at bargain basement price or enter into negotiations.

Modern football!!!

Massive respect to Peace for a) not crumbling to the player or Spurs & b) calling Levy on his shite. Good on him.

4 Likes

Decent analysis here from the Itchen Perspective blog.

We’re listed among the Mirror’s transfer window winners.

Southampton

Defied Tottenham’s bid to poach Victor Wanyama - then stood firm in the face of the midfielder’s fury when he stamped his feet and demanded to be allowed to leave. Also replaced Morgan Schneiderlin, who quit for Manchester United, with Feyenoord captain Jordy Clasie (and made a profit).

Also strengthened up front with Spain forward Juanmi, in the middle with ex-Chelsea midfielder Oriol Romeu and in defence with talented centre-back Virgil van Dijk for £14million from Celtic.