The January 2018 Transfer window:- speculation, rumours, dummy spitting, it's all here

Personally I don’t think he’s worth anywhere near that. He’s scored a few goals in Scotland but Bazza could probably get a game up there.

£18-20m and a 10% sell on fee max. And it’s still a gamble.

2 Likes

Hardly the glowing report that VVD got from the Celtic fans:

Dembele would worry me as he seems too ambitious to be content for long at Southampton with MoPe

That doesn’t bother me. If we sign someone young for around 15-20 million and they want to move onto bigger and better things after a while, I would expect us to be higher up the league with a bigger bank balance when they go. Happy days.

3 Likes

Some at Celtic are calling him a one season wonder. I’d be happy with him coming on board and being a half season wonder if he can put the ball in the net enough to keep us up. Then let him go - as long as we’ve got a replacement lined up…

1 Like

Dembele for 20 Million is a bargain, get him for that but Rodgers said earlier in the week it would take a kings ransom to sign him.

I saw Brighton were being linked with him for 18m over Christmas and was surprised because I’m sure the figures being mentioned last season were at least double that.

Why the fuck did we sell Rodriguez again?

I’d suggest it was because he isn’t good enough and probably wanted a fresh start somewhere.

7 Likes

I know what you mean Bazza - just look at all those trees he’s pulled up at West Brom. Two goals in 16 games, and he had a great shot against us that the corner flag didn’t get within a yard or two of. If only he were producing stuff like that for us and not for someone else.

5 Likes

As much as I want to believe in some of the links I cannot help but feel that this is largely misinformation aimed at settling down the villagers who are out wielding their torches and pitchforks. A bit of positive propaganda after selling ya best player.

It in no way benefits us to reveal our true transfer targets to an outside journalist, 3 days before the actual window opens.

In all likelihood the only accurate link in the article will be to the French League target who hasn’t been named.

In theory the players linked make sense because they are in need of regular football ahead of the World Cup but at the same time it is very unlike Saints to go after former players or established players like Sturridge. I’d welcome Walcott as surely that would negate the need to constantly include Redmond.

Some of those players will end up at clubs like West Ham, Stoke or Everton.

I’m not bowled over by the links to Mawson, but admittedly I have not watched much of Swansea in recent times.

I suppose it’s all fun and games though.

Are there any saints fans wielding torches and pitchforks? I’d have thought most are glad to see the back of him and pleased with the about of money we got.

I guess you don’ get out & about on t’innerweb much after games these days then

:lou_eyes_to_sky:

Not specifically over VVD but there’s quite a few in general meltdown mode.

Yes I turned up at several games with them after I heard the gurning arse had been selected to play despite his piss-poor attitude. I still can’t hear his name without seeing that picture of him in a pivate jet with a face like Wilfred Bramble (one for the kids). Must have been a tough couple of months for him…poor little rich kid.

3 Likes

In case you wondered why you are not taken seriously, read that sentence back to yourself again every day.

4 Likes

Banging them in at a rate of one goal every nine games for West Brom.

Why oh why did we get shot? :lou_sunglasses:

Would love Dembele, who we’re apparently interested in. Celtic had a prolonged European humiliation this year, so we get them in Jan, not in July for a change. I can see him swapping the Scottish Premier league for the English one, Europa League or not.

We could well suit Sturridge. Would have concerns over his fitness, but no doubting his quality on his day.

Dunno about Theo. Would be nice to have him back but if he has difficulty doing a job up at the Arse, can’t see him penetrating down here. Mind you, it would be interesting to see how he plays in a ground with atmosphere, and isn’t cursed, like the Emirates is.

Austin out for two months…

Shit. Definitely need a couple of attacking options in January.

There are normally a couple of names being bandied about as a smokescreen while we go about our business finding players none of us have heard of before. I cant see Sturridge wanting to come here and Theo would get more money elsewhere. To bring in those kind of players we would need to break our wage structure, so expect a few bargains from Europe instead.

3 Likes