šŸ„ƒ The Single Malt Thread

Chuckling at the idea of PS leaving an open bottle for a couple of days let alone months.

3 Likes

I will have you know I have this bottle since Christmas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only because you canā€™t work out how to get it out of that stand :wink:

6 Likes

@Saint-or-sinner

If you Iove a phenolic peat hitā€¦ try anything with an age statement from

Bhunnahabhain
Coal ila
Octomore
Ardbeg

Laphroaig and Lagavin are both good but a little more mainstream adjusted

Bowmore is a bit of a sad case as they have and can make some very good Maltā€¦ but have focussed on mass market appeal so itā€™s all chill filtered, heavily couloir and Sherry cask finished in a rash wayā€¦ meaning itā€™s all a big confused and TBH become a bit bland ā€¦ whether ten 10,12 or 18ā€¦ best of current available releases is probably the 15yo ā€˜darkestā€™ but against still less complex than it should be

I like a rum as you probably know and although iā€™ve read this thread, have stayed away from joining in as iā€™m not sure i can afford to drink both and have a daughter as well.
Iā€™ll swap a bottle of your finest for an 18 year old(be warned, sheā€™ll drink the rest of your good stuff).

1 Like

Hahaā€¦ ā€˜finestā€™ is a strange word as with Malt there is a lot of personal preference attached to itā€¦ key is integrity - age statement, non-chill filtered, non-coloured and quality casks.

Price is often more an indicator of rarity rather than quality, although most exceptional drama are not cheapā€¦ they become more expensive as they are drunk and become rarerā€¦

The thing I do is o my buy stuff I want to drink not collectā€¦ but some of the stuff I have has become silly now, yet was affordable when I bought it. But they will all be opened and enjoyed with the right company and right times :blush:

1 Like

Nothing better than than good company, good food and a good drink(plus some good music, although not in Brussels apparently). Makes the rest of the shit in life bearable.

2 Likes

Passing through KL yesterday and picked this little one up, Once again as i know bugger all about Whisky I will only know if its any good after I have drunk it. Anybody got any clues

Well I know itā€™s a whisky and not a whiskey.

Let us know how it goes.

Bletch the spell checker.
Who knew he would get a promotion?

1 Like

Itā€™s not a spelling issue, itā€™s a geographical one.

:ireland: = Whiskey
:scotchland: = Whisky

1 Like

Yes most of us know but we can still err

Had a glass of the Glenmorangie last night after the birthday meal for the daughter and its a very nice tipple.

2 Likes

Ah the (gone forever) Joyā€™s of flying Business Class with Emirates & Glenmorangie 19 year old Maltā€¦
:sob:

Its a good dramā€¦ but here is the ā€˜butā€™ā€¦

These days, as Malt Whisky has become about 10x more popular than in the late 80s and 90s when it was in a big slump, getting access to high quality casks is a struggle and many distilleries that use to invest in better quality and lower production, have long been swallowed up by the likes of Diageo and profit is put ahead of quality and quantityā€¦ add in the fact that collectors are hoovering up much of the older and better stock and prices are getting silly.

Glenmorangie is a decent dram, but its also a little ā€˜ordinaryā€™ - what do I mean by that? well they do colour their whiskies and they tend to be chill-filtered to stop the ā€˜scotch mistā€™ when Philistines and Americans add ice or worry its 'off when a little water is addedā€¦ but chill-filtering removes quite a bit of the complexity.

As with decent Rum, the problem is that 90% of sales go to folks who buy 1 bottle a year usually at Christmas and want ā€˜ordinaryā€™ - nothing to difficult, but easy on palettes as opposed to complex and differentā€¦ so many of the ā€˜standardsā€™ (found in super markets and Duty free) are for the mass appeal. Good drams, for sure, and nice to drink, but less interesting than they could be.

If you fancy something a little different, just seek out anything non-chill filtered and non-coloured (will say so on bottle/packaging) and with an age statement. Does not need to be old or expensive, but it will challenge the palette a bit :wink:

3 Likes

Lol. That ainā€™t gonna happen unless I start getting more American clients & their tips.
Zubrowka Biale or Krupnik vodka at $10 a litre has to do at the moment.
:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

What are the chances @philippineSaint sees something like that in a duty free shop?
Unfortunately your previous paragraphs showed how impossible thatā€™s become. Shame, as wouldnā€™t it be nice to fly out of a destination with a good quality, individual bottle, something produced locally by the local owner(iā€™d be in Scotland monthly to stock up).

2 Likes

All trueā€¦ back in the mid 90s, you could pick up stuff in Duty Free for Ā£40 that is now fetching Ā£1000 at auction because it was high quality. You can still find stuff like Glen Garioch (Glen Gear-ree) 15 year old Sherry cask cask strength at 53.7% duty free for about Ā£65 which is great value, but also there are good suppliers in the Far East that would be good to try ā€¦ also most on-line retailers will ship to there via their local agents etc try www.mastersofmalt.com or something more locally flavoured like www.thegreebwellystop.com

Also check out review sites like whiskybase.com as they have a ton of reviews so you get a feel for a majority view rather than just one opinion

Donā€™t get me wrong, that 19 year old is VERY nice, but itā€™s been blended (from casks from a single distillery so still a single malt) to be appealing to a majority.

Good analogy is Gin, the mainstream are all a bit Bombay Sapphire, OK but less challenging.

Again does not need to be pricey.

I spend too much on rum and red wine as it is, but a good whisky(lowland peat for me) is wonderful.
Iā€™ll have a look next time iā€™m buying. Cheers :beers:

1 Like

Ooh yes very nice ā€”- have some nice Longrow single cask sherry matured 14 yo distilled in 1995 to try soonā€¦ also some Rosebank 12yo from a closed distillery - but new owners looking to reopen next yearā€¦

Also have a small cask at Lindores Abbey that should be ready in 2029 ā€¦ :crazy_face::flushed: