[Wanyama] Dirty tactics

Originally posted by @pap

Koeman said in one of the pressers that the affair had damaged team spirit. Questions have already been asked about how this affected our European campaign. Personally, I am glad he was left out yesterday. The team looked as if it had just had a huge weight lifted from it.

And this too, is staggering.

Oh, and also, I’m surprised by the lack of outrage from media commentators on this situation. Maybe it’s following on Monday.

The lack of outrage is staggering! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Oh, and also, I’m surprised by the lack of outrage from media commentators on this situation. Maybe it’s following on Monday.

I listen to talkSPORT, mostly to vicariously fulfil the white van man dream. As a consequence, I hear the daft fuckers that are on in between the adverts. Micky Quinn has been trying to flog Stones to Chelsea so much that I’m surprised he hasn’t pulled a bag over the lad’s head and driven him down to Stamford Bridge, hovering around the car park in an upmarket repeat of Odemwingie’s Loftus Road adventure.

Quinny will be screaming in the car park “Take him, Jose! He’s f’ckin’ dying up there, lad. He needs a big club to fulfil his big ambitions. Please, for the love of god, take this player away from this historically successful team to practically ensure they never get a fkn sniff again!”

And yet, the very same Micky Quinn is crying all over the airwaves that Raheem Sterling didn’t decide to stay on for Brendan’s bullshit. This is not atypical of presenters. They don’t check the stuff they’re saying for any sort of internal consistency. Chelsea have got deep pockets and were fucking nowhere before Abramovich rolled up with the readies, while Everton were winning trophies left, right and centre in the 1980s.

People think that such commentators are in thrall to big clubs, but I reckon it’s more accurate to say that they’re in thrall to money. Chelsea are a relative upstart, and get fawned over. Kenny Dalglish’s Blackburn Rovers with Jack Walker’s money behind them is another example of the media going crazy over a moneyed team, and with the benefit of hindsight, were a total flash in the pan. Last year we saw people losing their shit over Di Maria, largely because he cost 64M.

I am starting to think that the perfect environment for these people is one so frenetic, chaotic and filled with large numbers, that no-one ever has time to pull them up on the shit they spout.

1 Like

One of the things that concerns me about this depressingly familiar saga is that if Saints deny Wanyama and his agent the move they desire and force him to stay here, does the player have it in his character to knuckle down and give one hundred percent to Saints for another season like Morgan did (don’t forget Morgan had much more of an attachment to the club by dint of his length of time here) or will he just languish around sulking on the fringes. If it’s the latter, then, especially in the light of Koeman’s comments concerning our European campaign, the question then has to be asked: how will this affect the atmosphere around the squad and team spirit?

Then, of course, there’s the question of a player’s ever-decreasing value (both in playing and financial terms) if he’s not actually playing.

I like the fact that Saints are playing hard-ball on this; I hope it turns out as successfully as it did with Morgan last season; however, it’s a strategy not without risk, imo. It’s a miserable situation, and one which, as Spudders says, we are likely to see every season so long as there are other teams paying larger wages than us.

2 Likes

“Hi Vic, yes, you’re probably right, you deserve a pay rise. Now sign this contract extension for a few extra quid and pay your slimy agent.”

Flog him next summer.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

One of the things that concerns me about this depressingly familiar saga is that if Saints deny Wanyama and his agent the move they desire and force him to stay here, does the player have it in his character to knuckle down and give one hundred percent to Saints for another season like Morgan did (don’t forget Morgan had much more of an attachment to the club by dint of his length of time here) or will he just languish around sulking on the fringes. If it’s the latter, then, especially in the light of Koeman’s comments concerning our European campaign, the question then has to be asked: how will this affect the atmosphere around the squad and team spirit?

We’ve faced this before and have gone different routes, depending on the underlying offence. Puncheon had a pop at Cortese and was back in favour when he apologised. Osvaldo was shipped off.

If he doesn’t want to play, just keep him away from all teams. I wouldn’t have him near the first team or the youth team. We’re lucky in that we do have other players that can slot into that position. I am not going to pretend that results are going to be as good without “Good Wanyama”, not even after a 3-0 win when he was absent from the team. We haven’t got that right now, so put him wherever he’ll cause the least damage if the impasse continues.

Then, of course, there’s the question of a player’s ever-decreasing value (both in playing and financial terms) if he’s not actually playing.

That is a good point, but I do wonder how much money we’ll save long-term if we’re not having to make reactive moves after one of our players goes on a big money move. There is a lot of cost associated with every acquisition. There is also the question of precedent. Morgan didn’t get his move when he stamped his feet. Victor probably won’t get his. And yes, that may deter some of the more opportunistic players from ever considering us, but I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing.

I like the fact that Saints are playing hard-ball on this; I hope it turns out as successfully as it did with Morgan last season; however, it’s a strategy not without risk, imo. It’s a miserable situation, and one which, as Spudders says, we are likely to see every season so long as there are other teams paying larger wages than us.

Which is why it is all the more important to make a stand now. I could live with Victor not contributing any more and leaving for free if the message is finally received and understood. Respect your fucking contract.

1 Like

Fonte admits that the players are trying to talk Big Vic round…

Sourced by the Automatic News Thread

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Southampton skipper Jose Fonte urges Saints to hold on to key players

Expand article…

Jose Fonte admits it is vital Southampton don’t lose anymore players before the transfer window closes tomorrow.

Tottenham target Victor Wanyama wants to quit St Mary’s and was left out of yesterday’s 3-0 win over Norwich after telling boss Ronald Koeman he wasn’t in the right frame of mind to play.

Winger Sadio Mane is also wanted by Manchester United.

After seeing a host of stars leave St Mary’s since he came to the club last summer, Koeman insisted nobody else is for sale.

And captain Fonte said: “That would be a help to us once the transfer window is closed and hopefully no one will leave, and possibly add a couple more, so we will see, but the main thing is not letting anyone go.”

Koeman warned Wanyama he is “playing with his own future” by letting the transfer talk unsettle him and trying to force a move to Spurs.

And Fonte admitted Southampton’s players have tried to talk Wanyama round.

Fonte said: “We all had conversations with him and try to explain, so now it’s up to the club and to him.”

LIVE: Follow all the latest transfer news, gossip and done deals as they happen

…contradictorily formulated by Optimus trousers…beta v1.6

Wanyama hasn’t joined up with the Kenyan squad.

Sourced by the Automatic News Thread

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Victor Wanyama misses Kenya trip, Sky sources understand

Expand article…

Victor Wanyama has not travelled to join the Kenyan national team as planned on Monday morning, according to Sky sources.

Wanyama was left out of Ronald Koeman’s squad for Southampton’s 3-0 win over Norwich at the weekend as the manager felt he was not “mentally and physically good enough to play”.

Sky sources understand the 24-year-old has asked to leave the Premier League club, with former Saints manager Maurico Pochettio keen on bringing him to Tottenham.

Koeman is desperate to keep him at St Mary’s having already lost fellow midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United this summer.

The Southampton boss insisted Wanyama and Sadio Mane, who has been reportedly linked with Manchester United, would not be leaving before Tuesday’s transfer deadline.

Koeman told Sky Sports following Sunday’s win: "They will stay in Southampton, I’m 100 per cent sure about that.

“The same answer for Victor as for Sadio, we don’t sell that kind of player because they are key players for the team and they have to respect the contract. That’s most important”.

…anyway instituted by Optimus trousers…beta v1.6

Nice to see he’s treating his national team with the same disdain as he’s treating the people who pay his wages.

At this rate it’s going to have to be one hell of a farewell page in the Echo he’s going to have to write to explain his actions…

3 Likes

Originally posted by @pap

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

I listen to talkSPORT, mostly to vicariously fulfil the white van man dream. As a consequence, I hear the daft fuckers that are on in between the adverts. Micky Quinn has been trying to flog Stones to Chelsea so much that I’m surprised he hasn’t pulled a bag over the lad’s head and driven him down to Stamford Bridge, hovering around the car park in an upmarket repeat of Odemwingie’s Loftus Road adventure.

Micky Quinn was a dirty drink driving skate. Not surprising he has no moral fibre.

I really couldn’t give a fuck if Wanyama goes - not that it looks like he will be at this point. Interesting to see how his grovelling goes down though.

1 Like

Oh, what’s that? You like JWP at DM, do you Ron?

What a deliciously sly piece of press.

If true I rather like the that’s you screwed Vic story of today.

He wasn’t allowed to travel yesterday, he was put on a long haul flight to join his Kenyan teammates today, Deadline Day.

Genius. He wasn’t going to be faxing signed contracts from 40,000 feet that’s f’sure

1 Like

Well, he could never have signed another deal without the club’s consent, but if they have done this, he’ll be sitting on that plane knowing he ain’t going.

Ronald has played a blinder on this one!

If the club has booked his flight for deadline day without him noticing that’s even funnier.

Good to see both ourselves and West Brom reminding players who is in charge - though I suspect they have more of a problem to sort as a result.

1 Like

Spurs were set to pay up to ÂŁ20m for Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama, 24, in exchange for either Andros Townsend, 24, or Erik Lamela, 23, but the Saints were unwilling to sell. (London Evening Standard)

Hmmm, I would maybe have taken Lamela but definitely not Townsend…

1 Like

How does Townsend feel when they try to offload him with every deal they try to do?

If your boss tried to get you to leave every time he advertised a job it wouldn’t look good in a tribunal.

2 Likes

Saints are looking to offer Big Vic a five year contract.

Les Reed

"We’ve already tried to start negotiations on that,” Reed told Sky Sports. “We’ve offered him the opportunity for a long-term extension.

"We’d like to tie him down for another five years. Whether that’s possible or not, I don’t know, but the opportunity is there to do that.

"He was a little bit unsettled and I think that has to happen probably at most clubs with different players. The speculation does raise a few eyebrows.

"Maybe it got a little bit too hyped up and maybe Victor thought there was a bit more truth in the rumours than there was.

“Now it’s over, he’s gone home to Kenya and I think he’ll enjoy some time with his family and come back and be settled and raring to go in our team.”

Clubs will need to start employing counsellors with all that messing with people’s heads. De Gea, Stones, Wanyama all befuddled by transfers that didnt happen. Bless. It is just as well our public services are made of sterner stuff, can you imagine the turmoil if no nurses turned up to work because they werent mentally right? I am sure it is a pain not being sure where you are going to be playing football (a sport) next season but some people really need to man up.

(Actually I have been harsh on Stones here as he hasnt thrown his toys out of the pram yet)

It’s only really Vic & Berhino that threw strops. De Gea hasn’t either, really.

I think it’s perhaps a tad harsh to think of it as just sport. It is their livelihood. Clearly there are worse professions, of course, but not knowing whether you are going to be working/living in Manchester this time tomorrow/next week/next month does come with a fair amount of stress. Having family and partners if different cities/countries can’t be easy either.

Again, it could be much worse and I’m sure most would admit that. But I imagine it is still pretty stressful, behind all the success, adoration and (mostly) money. These are mostly pretty young guys. I found moving from West to East London stressful enough last year, and I wasn’t even changing job!