[Wanyama] Dirty tactics

I think £100k or so a week would sweeten the pill a little. :cool:

Money helps, of course. But stress and uncertainty is stress and uncertainty. With that money there is also an extra degree of scrutiny.

1 Like

Apart from the money, players are happy to sign a contract one minute and then want out as soon as something more attractive comes along. If the club want to hold them to the contract they should be man enough to see it through. If you sign a five year contract with a club and Manchester United comes in for you after 2 years, I can see how that would be unsettling - but if the club want to keep you you have another 2 years service to give them before you are likely to get a move, so players need to realise what they sign up for. I appreciate that not all players are like this,but when you hear how Berahino is complaining about how badly he has been treated, you just want to slap the bitch!

Great piece in the Guardian about Levy. We’re mentioned.

There is also the issue of Levy’s previous coming back to haunt him. Put simply, you can only put noses out of joint so many times. Southampton felt sore last summer when Levy took Pochettino from them, and followed that up by making unacceptable moves for Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez. They were never going to let Wanyama go this summer and they were absolutely never going to sell him to Tottenham.

There are numerous stories within the game of Levy making offers that serve only to infuriate – most recently, one of his bids for Berahino featured payments of £3.5m each year for five years. It might have added up to an OK bid but it did not create the right climate for further negotiations. At West Brom they joked that Tottenham would still be paying their proposed add-ons when Berahino was drawing his pension. Levy is a famously hard negotiator but he can and does make things more difficult for himself.

1 Like

Well, well, well…

Wanyama hit the headlines when he handed in a transfer request last Friday to force a move from the club.

“I will fully concentrate on Southampton since I have a contract with them running. It didn’t affect me in any way. I’m still a Southampton player and I will give my best when I go back and hopefully, we will win more games.

“It has been difficult for the team when I was away but things will be alright. These things happen but I’m good to go,” the former Glasgow Celtic player said after joining head coach Bobby Williamson’s Stars on Thursday morning.

With the collapsed move now behind the Kenyan captain, Wanyama expressed disappointment with the Saints’ failure to qualify for the group stages of the UEFA Europa League after the club exceeded all expectations to finish in European places last season.

“Our intention was to do well in the play-offs in my first appearance in the tournament but we have to focus to return to Europe next season,” the most expensive Kenyan footballer in history after moving across the English border from Celtic to Southampton for 10 million pounds expressed.

“It was disappointing but we have to move on. We have a young team and we had to get experience and come next season we hope it will be better,” he added.

Fucking superbly played, Les and Ron.

1 Like

Interesting story in the Telegraph on this.

Southampton are reluctant to do any more business with Spurs.

Southampton are adamant that they will not sell Victor Wanyama to Tottenham Hotspur next year for any price and have also become extremely reluctant to do business with Spurs for any player.

Like several other Premier League clubs, Southampton have grown exasperated with Tottenham during various recent dealings although their principal reason for refusing to sell them players is that they regard Mauricio Pochettino’s team as a direct rival.

Spurs tried to buy Morgan Scheniderlin last summer and were also interested in Victor Wanyama this year. On both occasions, the player became agitated and pushed to leave but the internal unrest was not then accompanied by what Southampton regarded as a serious bid. Tottenham’s only offer for Schneiderlin last summer was £10 million and they ultimately did not make a big bid this year for Wanyama although it is understood that they were prepared to go to £20 million for either player if Southampton had shown any willingness to sell.

Brilliant from Les and Ronald! Screw you Levy! Haha!

1 Like

Indeed, I think the club played this one really well and shoved Vic into a little cul-de-sac.

They didn’t chastise him, they just reminded him who pays his wages, while firmly sticking two fingers up at Spurs.

It’s up to him now to show us that he’s still on the bus - and if his attitude is right, all is cool.

For another twelve months.

1 Like