Watford Vs Southampton - Match Thread 4/3/17

To be fair on Davis @newyorksaint the problem was that he was the shortarse in the wall and the ball was simply kicked over him…

:lou_wink_2:

2 Likes

Yes Forster may be carrying an injury but his form has been poor for a while. He came back from his (bad) injury and kept a few clean sheets with a tight back 5 in front of him. However, his footwork and distribution have always been suspect. Recently his long balls have been woeful. He’s a big unit and that’s about it. Slow to get down and average reactions. Need to improve in this position for next season.

Thought Davis had a good game at Wembley nys. Forster should have saved a free kick three feet inside the post and JWP giving the ball away cheaply in their half was at fault for their second I reckon.

I’m sorry, but he had very little hope with the 3rd goal. Exposed by his centre backs to a bullet header. The best he could do was what he did and fling a hand up and hoped it hit the ball! He was also exposed for the second, pretty much a one on one and placed very calmly and pinpoint into the corner (like penalty).

Now the first has me worried all round really. Stupid free kick to give away, stupid to put the short man on the end of the wall, and a keeper that could not get any leaverage when diving!

I like Forster and I hope we keep him and hopefully he can get fully fit in the summer. He does need serious compition as well.

One other thing I have noticed, is that he only seems to save with his feet/legs at the moment… apart from that semi save, where he basically put a lot more effort in to save himself!

I think there is a lot to be said for goalkeepers standing in the middle of the goal on free kicks. When you are 6’ 7" tall, a starting point in the middle of the goal should enable you to get across either side to save a shot, which as @goatboy has said, was not even in the corner.

I swear they do what they do mainly for the benefit of the cameras at times. To be fair, goalkeeping is not my forte so I’m probably chatting bollox.

But yeah, not having a taller player in Davis’ position in the wall did seem a little bizarre.

Whilst I agree Forster should have done better with that free kick, the real culprit was Romeu. Stupid challenge on Ander Herrera who was moving sideways on his weeker foot. No real danger of him pinging one in the top corner in that scenario.

1 Like

Romeu i would let off. Done to much right to be given any grief. One mistake isn’t a big deal.

Davis, good squad player, but getting on, so replace him.

Forster is shit. The free kick wasn’t just 3ft inside the post, it was 3ft off the ground as well. Normally the kind that makes a goalie look good. He doesn’t bounce. In any sport, if your completely static it’s always harder to react. A gentle bounce(basically keeping you on the balls of your feet) as the player is running up is a basic he hasn’t grasped. Get him out.

On a positive, he’s apparently top of Koemans wish list(with Rooney). Take as much as we can mug Everton for and get someone more mobile.

3 Likes

There is a reason that Poch, RK and Puel almost always pick Davis as first choice in midfield and that he misses very few games. Its not a coincidence.

4 Likes

I don’t think he has ever fully recovered from his injury. If this is the case -

a) why have we not actioned it as a club.

B) if we think we have actioned it, why is our other keepers not playing (cannot be good enough in training)

c) we could have problems selling a broken goalkeeper!

On another note, I think he is static because of the injury as well. There is something that is not right with him, and I am not buying the “it is because he is shit” argument, because quite clearly he has proven he is not!

1 Like

Also, yes you are right, the whole team played well, but it was individual mistakes that cost us on ALL 3 goals in my opinion. But as you say I really could not fault anyone of those players that played for the shirt they were wearing, not only in the final, but both legs of the semi as well.

He is a fucking good player, with plenty about him. The experience this bloke has is priceless.

3 Likes

Team for Watford

will be Same Squad as for Wembley’s except the team will be

Hassan in for Forster and Cacares in for Stephens

2 Likes

Yep, think you’re spot on there Phil

1 Like

There was a moment in the 2nd half when there seemed to be an inept back pass and FF came out for it and made a block. While he seemed sluggish coming off his line he made the block.

Straight after that he started stretching and “wobbling” his knee - almost as if it had been over extended. It was noticeable enough for me to comment that I was worried he would come off and limit our tactical use of subs.

HTH

1 Like

We did action it as a club, we had McCarthy, stupidly he got long term injured outside of the transfer window!

We did experiment with the younger kiddies if the FA Cup games and it seems CP wasn’t impressed.

We then went and got Hassan in on loan, we haven’t really played a lot of games since he joined but he has had plenty of training sessions. Was he on the becnh on Sunday or was it someone else!!

Again I would not be surprised if Hassan started on Saturday and FF was given an extended rest.

1 Like

Also set up the second goal.

1 Like

It seems like Forster is in fact carrying an injury so he is sort of excused. But I would like him to improve as a goal keeper and that means getting closer to Ibranavich for the third goal. The TV shot behind the goal shows him moving along the line. I think he had time to charge forward and at least put Ib off or challenge for the ball.

My point with Davis is NOT he isnt a good player. It is NOT he didnt play well in such and such a match. My point is he is the barometer of where we are as a club. I suppose to explain further would be to ask ‘would Everton be wanting to buy him for their first 11.’

He has been a great buy but for us to win something he needs to be second choice for most games

Fair point.

I think of him as our metronome. When he is on song our rythm and passing is good and we move the ball well. Not too sure whether he actually suits the new shape we play with now where he has become almost the 2nd DM alongside Romeu.

For me he was always at his best in a central role that tadic now seems to fill. (And tbh Tadic has improved a lot in there and Boufal will be very dangerous when he takes on that position)

So yes, perhaps we’ve changed and put Davis out of a job he was good at

Ive just thought what Puel needs to do all day Friday.

Get Gabba to teach Davis , JWP and Redmond how to shoot. If that works we will win by 4 easily

2 Likes

I wonder what Stephens would be like in defensive midfield. I know he has played RB but we need a OR backup and Stephens looks to like the same build a Eric Dyer. He is good on the ball, young, like to dribble a bit. I would hope Puel has tried him out as he is not the answer at CB for the future

1 Like