Watford Vs Southampton - Match Thread 4/3/17

Surprised to see Forster out there diving around. Thought he was injured.

1 Like

I wonder if they ever create a league table based on Lawro’s predictions, Saints must have been relegated numerous times by now :-

Watford v Southampton

Watford never seem to be in the news, which shows they must be doing something right. They are just in mid-table, doing what Watford do, and nobody really notices them, which I suppose is a good thing.

Yes, it is true you would notice them more if they were at the top of the table, but you also would if they were at the bottom - so mid-table is a good place to be.

The Hornets are one place above Southampton, who have not really got going in the league this season.

Saints’ best results have come in cup competitions, against Inter Milan in Europe and in the EFL Cup against Arsenal and Liverpool.

They were unlucky to lose at Wembley against Manchester United last weekend and now they can focus fully on the league.

I don’t fancy them to get anything at Vicarage Road, though. This is a tough game to call but I am going to go with the Hornets.

Lawro’s prediction: 2-1

Gower’s prediction: I don’t get to watch much football these days but when I moved to play for Hampshire in 1990 I went to see Southampton play at The Dell a couple of times for a new and novel experience which, trust me, it was.

That was a long, long time ago but I do still live somewhere near Southampton, sometimes, so I am going to support them in this one - 1-2

2 Likes

Lawrie only ever goes for the big teams if you look at the league table at the bottom of his column how far wrong is it from the actual table ?

He has Sunderland mid table for god sake

He must have predicted Liverpool to win or draw every match this season.

Unless it is misdirection from Claude, it would appear as though Caceras won’t be starting tomorrow but will get a run out for the U23s on Monday.

If this is the case then it’s a shame he hasn’t featured for the U23s already. I think there have been a couple of games he could have played in. Perhaps they overlapped the trip to Spain and Wembley though.

I’d throw him in tomorrow and see what happens. Having your first start (potentially) away at Tottenham isn’t ideal.

Shows how far Gardos is from the reckoning though that he didn’t make the bench at Wembley behind Caceras. What next for him? Must be entering the last year of his deal in the summer (I think, assuming it was a 4 year deal not 5).

I would like to see a big performance from Boufal tomorrow. He is due one. I recall Watford were heavily linked with him in the summer so maybe that will spur him on to show that they should have offered him a better deal than we did! Sometimes players get psyched up for little things like that.

Other than that, keep the same set up as the last two games. Full backs bombing on and JWP finding a bit of space on the right hand side to deliver for Gabbiadini.

1 Like

Hello chaps.

Just had to share this with you all for jest.

I’m on a stag do in Leeds and a Chelsea fan just tried to claim to me that John Stones, Gary Cahill and Chris Smalling were better than VVD!! I haven’t laughed so hard in years. Even the other Chelsea fans in the group told him to shut up and behave himself.

I humoured him and asked him to justify himself and he claimed VVD is slow and lacks positional sense…

At that point I realised I was arguing with one of ‘God’s special children’ and decided to focus on my curry.

COYS

8 Likes

Well he is at the moment :lou_sad:

Can’t wait for tomorrow !! Expecting us to carry on where we left off on sunday and with a point to prove, we’ll fuckin’ batter plucky little Watford.

COYS

How we’ve moved on mate, it wasn’t that long ago when it was “plucky little Saints”…

To be fair, he does have a point. Between the 3 of them, they probably would be better!

Only until he’s fit again though! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So how does this work the SAM computer says the the most probable score is 1-1 fair enough but the probability of an away win is 12% greater than a draw so surely 0-1 or 1-2 has a greater probability as a score line than 1-1?

SAM’s verdict
Most probable score: 1-1 Probability of draw: 28%
Probability of home win: 32% Probability of away win: 40%
SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

According to the BBC

Saints have scored three or more goals in each of their three away victories this season.

With Gabbiadini looking for a hatrick this could be the next time we get at least 3.

COYS

Too early here for that sort of stuff @philippinesaint …I’ve got the score at 1:3 to Saints

Gabbbadabadoo x2

Redmond x1

Yoshida x1 (og)

:lou_wink_2:

0-2 Saints.

:lou_smiley:

1 Like

You feeling alright Baz, unless the first score is Saints score??

1 Like

To be fair, if all three of them were playing, and Stones and Smalling rose above their usual inconsistency, they could possibly cover more ground than VVD alone :lou_sunglasses:

oh ffs