What did I say about the Golan Heights?

2 Likes

I have to ask, @barry-sanchez , would you be happy with Israel, or any other country than the United Kingdom, occupying Snowdonia?

The oil is no doubt pertinent, but what I think we forget is that Israel is occupying part of another sovereign country. Under any operating framework of international law, this would be a situation that required the highest international attention.

Unfortunately, the veto powers accorded to the permanent members of the United Nations Security Council means that we have nothing of the kind. The UN is a far more cynical organisation than the organisation that preceded it. When it comes to the application of international law, both are just as toothless.

The League of Nations failed because it didnā€™t have big nation buy-in. The US didnā€™t join at all. The Japanese Empire didnā€™t face multi-lateral military action when it invaded Manchuria. It just left, and probably gave justified encouragement to Mussolini, who invaded Abyssinia against League of Nation protests, while big imperial interests such as us and the French turned a blind eye.

The UN, however well-meaning, was doomed to fail from the start. The only way it could get big party buy-in was by according them special powers, and those special powers have prevented the application of international law time and time again, and in the case of Israel, itā€™s because theyā€™ve lobbied the US and UK governments to fuck, nearly always attaining the absolution of a veto from one or the other when committing misdeeds.

The UNā€™s inevitable successor just needs to do one thing. Apply international law. Enforce it when necessary. The world would be a much better place if we did.

3 Likes

Oil is secondary and a coincidence of the Israeliā€™s in the Golan Heights, theyā€™re there for the high ground and a buffer zone.

When they invaded possibly, but technology has moved on. High ground isnā€™t so important in a world of supersonic missiles.

Today the order is Oil first, water second, position third.

In as little as a decade water will be number one.

I would argue water in number 1, the Israeliā€™s have tried to drought them out before now, high ground is also of huge importance, high ground still means you can dictate the battle and see what is happening, that part of war will never change.

Always take and hold the high ground.

Irrespective I have said before this thereā€™d be a flare up and the next 10 years there will be interesting to say the least, the crazy thing is the various factions hate the Israeliā€™s only a bit more than they do each other.

If Israel was recognised and promised to withdraw to its borders with mutually agreed buffer zones it would be a start, wonā€™t happen though, far too much blood spilt.

Good ramble there with some valid points.

The UN is crap and pointless and I totally agree with Trump concerning its funding, objectives and relevance.

From a certain point of view the British occupy Northern Ireland so there are always grey matters, the Israeliā€™s remember Sinai and also if they put civilians in illegal houses it much harder to evict than a military base, good thinking however wrong it may be.

Africa and the UN sum it all up, a pc balls up, central Africa has been forgotten about, a peace keeping force that can only fire upon when it has been fire at is ridiculous, Iā€™ve never seen a dead man fire back before and I am not likely to either, we either get our hands dirty and face the consequences or watch the World rip itself apart on the outside tv on the decking drinking a fine NZ white.

The PC brigade have to decide, they can not have their cake and eat it on intervention.

So your cut off point is 1998, when it was multi-laterally agreed that the people of Northern Ireland, from whatever community, had the right to self-determination enshrined, as constituted in the devolved assembly and the right to join the Republic of Ireland should enough people vote for it?

Good to know, @barry-sanchez . Thanks for clarifying.

The whole of Ireland didnā€™t get a say on the good Friday agreement did they? The objective of the republican is a united Ireland, republicans still view the North as occupied by the British and the planters as either being duped or Irish and wrong all the same.

What I think Pap is immaterial but I can assure you they are the facts, how is power sharing going over there by the way?

Iā€™m not talking about water for Syria.

high ground is also of huge importance, high ground still means you can dictate the battle and see what is happening, that part of war will never change.

Except it already has(at least from any country that has modern technology). Ground whether high or low is only important if it is a trade route, or it has natural resources. Geography concerning military tactics is becoming less important. Men on the ground, then yes, itā€™s strategically imperative, but wars arenā€™t fought like that anymore. We now destroy, then go in with no risk, but lots of compliant media.

Irrespective I have said before this thereā€™d be a flare up and the next 10 years there will be interesting to say the least, the crazy thing is the various factions hate the Israeliā€™s only a bit more than they do each other.

They will indeed and all because of resources, nothing else.

Which factions? Thatā€™s a bit vague and obviously the wording you have chosen can not be talking about nation states.

If Israel was recognised and promised to withdraw to its borders with mutually agreed buffer zones it would be a start, wonā€™t happen though, far too much blood spilt.

Not a lot of the blood has been Israeliā€™s, so no excuse for them there, but you are of course correct, they will amplify any little grievance of their own, whilst telling everyone to ignore the genocide they continually commit. Again, with a compliant media in tow.

1. I am talking about Gaza, Israel when it occupied the area thought about getting the Palestinians to move by denying them water, check it out.

2. The high ground will always be important regardless of what you may say, you can see who is coming in simple terms.

3. Hamas and Fatah for one, many others though.

4. What can I say, both sides arenā€™t guilt free and I wouldnā€™t invite either of them to my birthday party.

And ski resort. Donā€™t forget the ski resortā€¦

3 Likes

I donā€™t know why but Bond Moore/Brosnan style down a slope has appeared in my mind.

1 Like

So whilst talking about Syria, you changed to Gazza.

1. The high ground will always be important regardless of what you may say, you can see who is coming in simple terms.

Thereā€™s a thing called satellites now Barry.

1. Hamas and Fatah for one, many others though.

Is that it? Weak,unless you believe western propaganda.

1. What can I say, both sides arenā€™t guilt free and I wouldnā€™t invite either of them to my birthday party.

One minority side is rather disproportionate when it comes to killing.

I was using it as an example, water flows through the Golan Heights to Israel doesnā€™t it? They be at the mercy of the Syrians who will also have the high ground, what tech do the militias have?

Thereā€™s been conflict in the middle east for 100ā€™s of years, it is not going to change anytime soon regardless of Israel existing or not, you may not like it but its true, Kurds, Armenians, Druze etc etc.

Youā€™re not expecting a kumbaya moment are you? All hands together singing on the Golan heights looking westward?

I donā€™t think that you understand the international law surrounding occupation, @barry-sanchez . Any occupied people has the right to resist those occupying them.

If a part of the UK were occupied by a foreign power, presumably youā€™d think it wrong for British partisans to fight against them?

International law wouldnā€™t agree with you, mind. A major power would probably veto it and sell the line that everyone was as guilty as everyone else, doing a disservice to those under oppression today and those that have fought partisan campaigns against oppressors in the past.

Some Irish still think theyā€™re occupied now, your point is what exactly?

Occupation is Crimea.

My point is that armed resistance under conditions of occupation isnā€™t breaking international law.

Occupying other countries is.

1 Like

So by your terms Irish armed resistance is legal?

Pap is now wishing he hadnā€™t written thatā€¦

Yes Barry. Something to do with gravity and nature, although with engineering thatā€™s only a couple of thousand years old, Syria(if Golan didnā€™t have illegal foreign invader occupation) could theoretically divert it wherever it liked. Thatā€™d fuck Israel.

They be at the mercy of the Syrians who will also have the high ground, what tech do the militias have?

Militias? Explain who you mean by using that term. Western backed jihadist maybe. They have whatever we choose to give them.

Thereā€™s been conflict in the middle east for 100ā€™s of years, it is not going to change anytime soon regardless of Israel existing or not, you may not like it but its true, Kurds, Armenians, Druze etc etc.

You have very imperialistic views on whatā€™s happened and why.

Youā€™re not expecting a kumbaya moment are you? All hands together singing on the Golan heights looking westward?

And you prove what a twat you are.