🗼 What have we got to rival the Spinnaker Tower?

Sam Ricketts plays for Cov doesn’t he? Powered egg now you’re talking.

Originally posted by @cobham-saint

I did say in my original post that I was being provocative

:lou_wink:

Don’t forget the company you’re in Cob … the daddy of provocative, Mr. Barry Sanchez.

It’s easy to see how your provocativeness might have slipped under Cherts radar.

1 Like

Only on Sotonians could we go from discussing the Spinnaker Tower to a video of that kiddie fiddler Jonathan King, via all points in between…

2 Likes

I refute that all I am saying is Southampton is gash, it doesn’t stop me loving the gash but it is gash, we have a shit wall and a fallen down gate entry as the pinicle of our attractions, our largest shining light is the sinking of a ship that sailed from a docking berth, we say we were bombed to bollocks in the war when infact we weren’t in all reality and use it as an excuse as our City was the inspiration for Morriseys “everyday is like Sunday”.

The locals yearn for Woolston or the bright lights of Fawley, just something something more than this…

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

I refute that all I am saying is Southampton is gash, it doesn’t stop me loving the gash but it is gash, we have a shit wall and a fallen down gate entry as the pinicle of our attractions, our largest shining light is the sinking of a ship that sailed from a docking berth, we say we were bombedf to bollocks in the war when infact we weren’t in all reality and use it as an excuse as our City was the inspiration for Morriseys “everyday is like Sunday”.

The locals yearn for Woolston or the bright lights of Fawley, just something something more than this…

My 7 year old nephew makes more sense than this?

I refute that all I am saying is Southampton is gash, it doesn’t stop me loving the gash but it is gash, we have a shit wall and a fallen down gate entry as the pinicle of our attractions, our largest shining light is the sinking of a ship that sailed from a docking berth, we say we were bombedf to bollocks in the war when infact we weren’t in all reality and use it as an excuse as our City was the inspiration for Morriseys “everyday is like Sunday”.

Aaw, cheer up Baz… everything’ll be alright.

Just remember, it could be worse … just try living out here in the wild green yonder. Every friday and saturday night, I die a bit more inside :slight_frown:

5 Likes

You’re a top man Ste, I like you, the snake catcher in Brockenhurst is a cracking boozer.

1 Like

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

Aaw, cheer up Baz… everything’ll be alright.

Just remember, it could be worse … just try living out here in the wild green yonder. Every friday and saturday night, I die a bit more inside :slight_frown:

You’re a top man Ste, I like you, the snake catcher in Brockenhurst is a cracking boozer.

… but not as good a night out, as Sterns was back in the day :laughing:

1 Like

Downvoted for making me edit your post again, plum boy.

1 Like

Pap you need the power of the force or some shit.

1 Like

Bit old but

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4070477

Seems a few bombs may have caused a bit of damage.

people_and_places/history/newsid_9232000/9232001.stm

Jumpin Jaks closed ages ago. But here’s some other clubs and lovely nightclubs.

11028794.20_long_forgotten_nights_out_in_Southampton

I’ve just been reading some “terrible” reviews on TripAdvisor as they can be quite amusing. One hotel manager had replied saying that the reviewer only left terrible reviews. Barry reminds me of that reviewer. Is anything good?

Soton is pretty crap, but I love it. Live 500 miles away (obvious joke is obvious) and still miss it on a weekly basis! Still better than P*mpey.

In irony those links are broken, for bombing there are many cities that had far worse damage in the City centre and around, we simply have never rebuilt or rebuilt and never improved.

Daily echo links are broken. Never mind.

I wasn’t born in Southampton but grew up there. Having moved about a bit before then plus I have lived in a few other places, it’s not the worst place. The parks are good and plenty of them. I was able to spot it from the plane the other day due to the parks.

The walls and bargate are a great historical feature (I am biased on that one) although not up to Barry’s discerning standards. There are lots of art deco finds about the place. The cenotaph is designed by Edward Luytens who also designed the one in Whitehall and India Gate in Dehli. Some of the post war architecture isn’t all that. But maybe southampton didn’t have the money to build the fabulous architecture you require.

I’ve been out in Portsmouth, Southampton and Bournemouth in my younger years and cannot say there was much difference. Bournemouth doesn’t seem to have a centre nor does Poole. I also spent some time in Newcastle and Sunderland. I really liked the waterfront in Newcastle and the bars. Sunderland was another matter. I do remember a ship with a revolving dance floor. Is that what would be good?

We don’t have a flashy tower next to a shopping centre. That’s not the worst thing in the world.

What’s you perfect town/city Barry? A few photos and some critique would be good.

6 Likes

A perfect City? Hmmmm is there one? I love the history of London but dislike nearly everything else about it, Sydney as well, Brighton is also a great place.

I’ll add more tomorrow but very tired, off to bed, see you the morrow.

Despite the gripes about not incorporating The New Forest into our newly walled metropolis, I see there have been no objections about a fucking great Titan of Braavos being placed in Southampton Water.

Good.

11 Likes

Barry’s sleeping on it

I have to say, a big fuck off Titan would be awesome. A real statement of intent. It could maybe be eviscerating a full size replica of the Angel of the North or eating a model of the Victory. Possibly both.

5 Likes

True that, my regular when I was at college.

Thomas Tripp in Lymington was also very good.

1 Like