đŸ—Œ What have we got to rival the Spinnaker Tower?

But being provocative - why are “DJ’s” fĂȘted as “stars”, when all they do is play mixes of tunes by other people to pissed people most of whom couldn’t tell one DJ from the other
They’re not really creating anything original, just being parasitic to make money off the back of real artists aren’t they?

Convince me otherwise guys.

4 Likes

The biggest Oceana in the Country, thats sort of proves my point, where is was the Gatecrasher, Sterns, Manor, Ministry, Cream etc etc where is anything like that now all over to be fair but we never fucking had it in the first place. Where does a night out in Southampton feature in the UK rankings? And more importantly what about money coming in for arts, restaurants and concerts? We’ve got no big venue for concerts, arts? Maybe but restaurants and hotels?

What other towns the size of Southampton have clubs like Gatecrasher?

A lot of this really doesn’t compute for me, Bazza.

To invoke Spinal Tap for another time today, I’m with their keyboard player.

“Have a good time ALL the time”.

I’ve occasionally been to some dire places. Northampton on a Thursday night springs to mind, when I think me and my mate were the only people in any of the pubs not actually working there.

You cannot work with that, but most places you can. I have an excellent time every time I’m back down, and don’t sit around fretting that there’s no Cream. There’s no fucking Cream in Liverpool either, nipper. Even if there was, you’re at the age where it would be borderline embarrassing (for you personally) to go.

Like Cherts said, your head is 20 years in the past. Before we approach the contentious issue of nightlife in Southampton, do you reckon it’s worth taking a moment to remember you’re in your forties, and so are many of the people (not Cherts) that you’re appealing to.

Why the fuck do nightclubs matter to you?

You do realise DJ’s also produce their own music, don’t you?

I used to promote all nighters at the Applemore Centre if that counts :laughing:

and Gary Bennetton played them when he was a wee lad

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

At 41 nothing now but what is there for the young ones? Sterns, Manor or Joannas? Oh there aren’t or weren’t in town, no Cream or Gatecrasher nor Bigg Market or Printworks

You do realise Southampton has one of the best house music scenes in the country, don’t you?

Look up Orange Rooms, Junk, Switch and High Tide, look at the DJ’s that perform regularly (James Zabiela, Alan Fitzpatrick, Tom Budden, Gary Benoetton - all Southampton lads) and you’ll see how wrong you are.

No I didn’t realise that as is it actually true? Local dj’s who may be talented performing at local parochial club shocker.

Tom Budden and Gary Bennetton are part of the High Tide crew (which also includes Steve Nights, who run the clubs (Orange, Junk and Switch) and also run the Warehouse Parties, Boat Parties etc. Former High Tide Boat Party DJ’s include Sasha, Carl Cox, Nick Fanciulli, Eats Everything, John Digweed.

Before you criticise stuff, make sure you know what your talking about, yeah?

Thats lovely it doesn’t distract the scene from being crap does it? We’ve never had a superclub nor a culture of even wanting one, we can’t even get a fucking icerink, I used to have to go to Martines for a late night bevy as New Yorks got that full, and the London road places are initmate and I am using estate agent speak when they really are fucking tiny.

Brighton, Bournemouth and the island in thick blood WERE always better and I understand bar the skates they still are for a night out. We still charge,offer shite beer and probably still have dress codes (now I am guessing there).

I used to promote all nighters at the Applemore Centre if that counts :laughing:

Where in the Forest you from mate?

1 Like

Cherts : “You do realise DJ’s also produce their own music, don’t you?”

unfortunately I do mate - but I 'd bet you a tenner that if you played any of it to most people they wouldn’t be able to tell you who it was though

:lou_wink:

Originally posted by @cobham-saint

unfortunately I do mate - but I 'd bet you a tenner that if you played any of it to most people they wouldn’t be able to tell you who it was though

To be fair, you could do that with a number of genre’s of music, including some of the greatest bands of all time.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

At 41 nothing now but what is there for the young ones? Sterns, Manor or Joannas? Oh there aren’t or weren’t in town, no Cream or Gatecrasher nor Bigg Market or Printworks

You do realise Southampton has one of the best house music scenes in the country, don’t you?

Look up Orange Rooms, Junk, Switch and High Tide, look at the DJ’s that perform regularly (James Zabiela, Alan Fitzpatrick, Tom Budden, Gary Benoetton - all Southampton lads) and you’ll see how wrong you are.

No I didn’t realise that as is it actually true? Local dj’s who may be talented performing at local parochial club shocker.

Tom Budden and Gary Bennetton are part of the High Tide crew (which also includes Steve Nights, who run the clubs (Orange, Junk and Switch) and also run the Warehouse Parties, Boat Parties etc. Former High Tide Boat Party DJ’s include Sasha, Carl Cox, Nick Fanciulli, Eats Everything, John Digweed.

Before you criticise stuff, make sure you know what your talking about, yeah?

Thats lovely it doesn’t distract the scene from being crap does it? We’ve never had a superclub nor a culture of even wanting one, we can’t even get a fucking icerink, I used to have to go to Martines for a late night bevy as New Yorks got that full, and the London road places are initmate and I am using estate agent speak when they really are fucking tiny.

Brighton, Bournemouth and the island in thick blood WERE always better and I understand bar the skates they still are for a night out. We still charge,offer shite beer and probably still have dress codes (now I am guessing there).

and Gary Bennetton played them when he was a wee lad

Where in the Forest you from mate?

Was living in Woolston back then 
1993/94 ish. Been in Lymington since '97

Fuck Steve, you’re going to blow the cover of all the Watersiders on here if you’re not careful

1 Like

They don’t anymore as paying nightclubs are going out of business hence my derision at clubs in Soton still charging, Sterns Worthing? The Manor? Mr Smiths?

They don’t they’re dead and buried, drinking culture dying, late night licenses for all, more choice and people not willling to pay, bars and food, bars and food.

I did say in my original post that I was being provocative

So you’re complaining that Southampton doesn’t have a Superclub, because 20 years ago Worrying did, but nowhere has them anymore, and that is a criticism of Southampton.

Just trying to understand how this is a negative on Southampton.

Well stop being a dick then :lou_wink_2:

9 Likes

Should have kept the ice rink and the top rank.

1 Like

I miss rickets and powdered egg.

7 Likes

To be fair, you could do that with a number of genre’s of music, including some of the greatest bands of all time.

I did say in my original post that I was being provocative

Well stop being a dick then :lou_wink_2:

Soz - default option

:lou_lol: