Where's Paps's Dad?

Originally posted by @pap

Wild stab in the dark, Lou - but have you considered the possibility that we’re talking about the old man because the thread is about him? :cool:

Nah, it deserves a serious answer. When Dad dropped his bombshell, the only person he was really dissing was himself. Same thing with Nobby Plumbs when he refers to himself as a homophobe. Respectively, neither of them have ever incited any kind of violence toward anyone, or said anything derogatory. They’re not harming anyone but themselves, and while Nobby is presumably unrepentant, the old man delivered a stunning response to his critics, not least because he took the time to clarify his position, and apologise for anyone that he had offended.

Contrast that with typical forum fayre, and let’s not narrow it down to just Furball, but it can be very adversarial. Ego can, and often does get in the way, hence the last word threads.

So, personalities removed and dealing in the abstract only. What do you respect more? Someone who admits fault and apologises, putting the matter to rest? Or someone that gets more adversarial instead? I suspect that explains why the old man is getting the plaudits, that and the fact that what he did is fucking unusual on forums.

I guess what I’m saying is, I liked having your Dad shake things up (as you know, I was one of the first to stick up for him) and I’m also enjoying Furball being a bit of demanding git and pushing your buttons. I also liked Papster on the old forum winding up Batman for talking nonsense. We’ll never let this place be a bully-hole, but a bit of fiestiness is not a bad thing! I’ve enjoyed your debate with Furbs, don’t discourage it… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

I guess what I’m saying is, I liked having your Dad shake things up (as you know, I was one of the first to stick up for him) and I’m also enjoying Furball being a bit of demanding git and pushing your buttons. I also liked Papster on the old forum winding up Batman for talking nonsense. We’ll never let this place be a bully-hole, but a bit of fiestiness is not a bad thing! I’ve enjoyed your debate with Furbs, don’t discourage it… :slight_smile:

I can certainly understand why you might feel as some content has been neutered. Part of that is undoubtedly down to having slightly different responsibilities, and having actual responsibility for the perception of the site. I still speak my mind, but I’m far less likely to start doling out actual insults.

I don’t really accord a great deal of respect to stuff I find easy. Few of us do, which is why Slash is a fucking god and nobody knows who the world’s greatest triangle player is. Pushing buttons is the easiest thing in the world, and when you’re on a site where our butlers produce brilliantly funny stuff which manages to be edgy yet wholly inoffensive, from fuck all (pretty much making their stuff the exact opposite of button pushing, which requires familiarity), you’ve got to wonder whether we need the sort of button pushing you’re talking about.

We’re all smart enough to do without it.

1 Like

Wild stab in the dark, Lou - but have you considered the possibility that we’re talking about the old man because the thread is about him? :cool:

Nah, it deserves a serious answer. When Dad dropped his bombshell, the only person he was really dissing was himself. Same thing with Nobby Plumbs when he refers to himself as a homophobe. Respectively, neither of them have ever incited any kind of violence toward anyone, or said anything derogatory. They’re not harming anyone but themselves, and while Nobby is presumably unrepentant, the old man delivered a stunning response to his critics, not least because he took the time to clarify his position, and apologise for anyone that he had offended.

Contrast that with typical forum fayre, and let’s not narrow it down to just Furball, but it can be very adversarial. Ego can, and often does get in the way, hence the last word threads.

So, personalities removed and dealing in the abstract only. What do you respect more? Someone who admits fault and apologises, putting the matter to rest? Or someone that gets more adversarial instead? I suspect that explains why the old man is getting the plaudits, that and the fact that what he did is fucking unusual on forums.

I’m honoured to have a mention in this thread. Have I upset anyone by what I said? I would say that I am unrepentant, however that just may be down to a difference between my understanding of the word and everyone else’s.

I don’t think anyone was upset, Nobby. You weren’t actually having a go at gay people.

I don’t really accord a great deal of respect to stuff I find easy. Few of us do, which is why Slash is a fucking god and nobody knows who the world’s greatest triangle player is.

Love this.

1 Like

Originally posted by @captaintim

I don’t really accord a great deal of respect to stuff I find easy. Few of us do, which is why Slash is a fucking god and nobody knows who the world’s greatest triangle player is.

Love this.

pap puts forward slash, you back slash and right now I’m having a slash.

2 Likes

That’s mulltitasking, that is. Right there.

1 Like

Hey Papster, I don’t agree with this, but I’ll save the conversation for when I next see you in the Farmhouse (Man U?) otherwise I’ll be responsible for another navel gazing Papsweb thread… :wink:

(Not that I’m not saying the Butlers are brilliantly funny…)

(Shit, or that we’re all smart enough…)

(But Slash I’ll take or leave…)

Keep digging. I’m just going to put the kettle on. I’m expecting some solid reporting from the realm of the Silurians :cool:

I’m not digging, I’m just being diplomatic :slight_smile:

I know.

I am a bit disappointed in you wanting to take the discussion offline. You got us onto this line of discussion after all. I’ve read what you’ve said, and yes, it is difficult to propagate an unpopular opinion on a forum that mostly isn’t interested in knowing. I’ve got respect for that, and anyone that posts for that matter. We’re all sticking our necks out every time we post, and we all know Fatso is ready to bite any stragglers.

That said, and I’m sure I’ll get accused of back-slapping for saying so, I haven’t met a more accommodating forum than us for unpopular opinions. Perhaps it’s because we’re small or whatever, but you just don’t get the level of abuse you can attract elsewhere.

So yes, certain posters sometimes plough a solitary furrow. Furball quite often, Ohio whenever he’s on a bender. Barry after a bad result. As long as strips aren’t torn off other posters in the process, I’ve got no problem with it.

woah pap is callin lou OUT! she be like nah i ain’t gonna throw down wit you right here in the street dog, we be doin this at the Farmhouse yo and pap be like i got shit to SAY and i ain’t backing down from yo punk arse!

I watched the NWA movie this morning.

4 Likes

Bearsy, you stirrer :wink:

1 Like

I know.

I am a bit disappointed in you wanting to take the discussion offline. You got us onto this line of discussion after all. I’ve read what you’ve said, and yes, it is difficult to propagate an unpopular opinion on a forum that mostly isn’t interested in knowing. I’ve got respect for that, and anyone that posts for that matter. We’re all sticking our necks out every time we post, and we all know Fatso is ready to bite any stragglers.

That said, and I’m sure I’ll get accused of back-slapping for saying so, I haven’t met a more accommodating forum than us for unpopular opinions. Perhaps it’s because we’re small or whatever, but you just don’t get the level of abuse you can attract elsewhere.

So yes, certain posters sometimes plough a solitary furrow. Furball quite often, Ohio whenever he’s on a bender. Barry after a bad result. As long as strips aren’t torn off other posters in the process, I’ve got no problem with it.

Well, I’m the biggest advocate for niceness. I hate upsetting people. But I thought the response to Furball pushing really hard on popular perceptions here of the Labour Party and Corbyn, was just a bit weak to be honest. I didn’t think he said anything without a context or justification, or that wasn’t just a consequence of frustration in the heat of the debate. And normally this kind of thing would have no consequence, if one person is upset with another - that’s just how it goes, I’m not fussed. But because you kind of pitched it as a ‘this isn’t what this forum is about’ then that’s where I have an issue. There’s a difference between a forum where members don’t and aren’t encouraged to treat each other with respect, and good old meaty ding dong where members push the limits, get annoyed with each other, push each other’s buttons. If we’re going to become so nicey nicey where that can’t happen, then (much as I love the clever humour of many of our posters) it’s just a bit dull.

The Leadership debate should be considered a damn good effort, particularly from Pap and Furball. Even if as individuals you come out of it feeling a bit bruised. More of the same please.

The reason I preferred to say this face to face was because its easier to say strong things without causing offence when it’s in person (and I’m never one to hide behind a keyboard). Plus you always risk writing something that could be misinterpreted.

And any excuse to go to the pub.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Goatboy

And any excuse to go to the pub.

You know me too well!

woah lou be like you step to fur-ball, you step to ME. You step to the grave dog cos this is our hood. East side bitches. Just what happened with 2-PAC RIP

3 Likes