Who was your guilty pleasure for Saints?

Guly & Papa.

Love the pair of them.

Oh Östlund as well.

Mostly 'coz we share an aesthetic.

3 Likes

Oh ok Ulrich Van Gobbel then. Built like a quicker version of Wanyama, and a highlight for me was his brilliant 45-50 yard pass away at Newcastle which was hit first time by MLT on the half volley to score. Fouled as many people as he tackled, but fun to watch.

1 Like

Dowie, that goal against West Ham put us on the way to keeping us up, he was shite but he was our shite.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Dowie, that goal against West Ham put us on the way to keeping us up, he was shite but he was our shite.

I once went to a pre-season friendly against Leyton Orient and was sat close to the tunnel (Brisbane Road was hardly packed). Seeing Dowie close up as he ran out for the match was a terrifying thing.

4 Likes

I once saw him and his Mrs in WHSmith in the Bargate and all I wondered was how the fuck regardless of being a footballer did he pull that?

Frank “The Provider” Worthington.

1 Like

Terry Hurlock. I used to love it when you saw him chasing someone after not getting a free kick that he felt he should have had… WOW!

3 Likes

I loved Hurlock as well to be fair, he was also a better footballer than many gave him credit for.

I remember the Palace fans after he joined them: “Only one Ian Dowie! One Ian Dowie! Ugly as fuck but he’s keeping us up, walking in a Dowie wonderland” :grinning:

3 Likes

Rupert :lou_is_a_flirt:

‘very much maligned and misunderstood’

5 Likes

Steve Baker. Really nice bloke, so didn’t want to join in the hatefest after the nightmare against the skates.

4 Likes

Chez was my guilty pleasure on saintsweb :lou_is_a_flirt:

5 Likes

I used to love watching Saganowski and Hajto play, especially if they managed their defence piercing Michael Palin passes :lou_facepalm_2: :lou_smiley: :lou_smiley: :lou_facepalm_2:

In the days when I stood on a Milk Crate and wore a Duffel Coat with my gloves on strings through the sleeves I ran on the pitch at the end of a game and collected Ron Davies’ Tie Up’s that he had left in the Centre Circle when rolling his socks down on a particularly muddy day.

Got rollocked by Mum when I got home as my shoes were all muddy.

4 Likes

Him, Neil Heaney and Frankie Bennett.

On saints web - Dig dog, my fav Russian Wrestler.

I was just thinking of you Bearsy. There’s a discussion on that forum about a Saints fanzines. IMO you need at least 6 or 7 writers, all of which need to have offbeat writing styles and opinions. You, Pap and Rallyboy immediately came to mind - apologies to others not listed who offer equally outstanding posts.

So what do say, can I put you down for a 400 word column on something like football sexual taboos?

6 Likes

I think the fanzine owner would have to take out a very large insurance policy to cover potential lawsuits if Bearsy was recruited!

1 Like

Oh, TSW fav has got to be ART

Paul Telfer purely because his inclusion in the team would send the bloke in front of me into a frothing meltdown. We all use to go out of our way to praise every pass and tackle he made just to send this chap over the edge again.

4 Likes