Wtf ... VVD out for 3 months ! .... unbelievable

There was one player that we really couldnt afford to lose. To lose him for the first final we have been in for years is especially cruel.

Buggering fuck.

1 Like

Check out sadly missed Jack Schitt’ latest tweet.

Allegedly tells the whole story.

Felt true

You know what the sad thing is, he could have played his last game for Saints.

I still think he will be here next season. But then my punditry is pants.

1 Like

Optimistically worded tweet, how good is his English compared to Claude’s re: weeks/months?

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

I still think he will be here next season.

Same here. We haven’t seen the back of Virgil, despite the goons on SWF desperately wanting that to be the case so they can shit all over the internet.

1 Like

Chin up peeps, we’re not just about VVD … think people are forgetting that just a week ago Yoshi and Stephens slammed the door shut on Liverpool in their own back yard

There is a plus side to all this, at least we’ll have 2 center halfs actually in position and defending when other teams hit us on the break

Just saying :lou_wink_2:

5 Likes

My gut feeling is that you could well be right SOG

… better keep those thoughts to yourself on the darkside tho’, you get a hard enough time there anyway with all your happy clapping positivity shit :lou_lol:

2 Likes

What is it that makes you guys feel that he will stay? I just can’t see it but would love some hope to the contrary.

He is one of, if not the best and most consistent player that we have had since the ‘meltdown’ summer. Better than all the others who left for more money and Champions League football. So what makes you feel he will be any different?

I’m genuinely asking by the way and not just trying to be argumentative.

1 Like

He says he wants to learn and improve and then play at a higher level. He has just become captain. He will be a better play after another season and we don’t have to let him go for a while. Another season in the Prem and he could be ready for the likes of Real Madrid. It could be a gut feeling, or it could be the residue of the chicken madras I had at the weekend.

5 Likes

Nah, he will be gone in the summer, I have no doubt, Unless his injury is for longer, then he will sit on our books until better.

But what do we know, I doubt he even knows.

I think he will do one more season. I think he would have signed that 6 year deal with the agreement of one more season otherwise why would we have offered him it? It makes no sense to just give the bloke a new contract with higher wages if he is going to go at the end of the season. We give him a pay rise and he signs a long contract so that when we come to sell at the agreed time, his value is still high. Plus I think he wants to stay, develop, be captain - all good stuff for his CV so that he gets a big move rather than some shit like Liverpool. I hope he goes to Real Madrid or Barcelona or someone like that, but at the end of next season, not this one. Plus, I actually cut his hair in my salon and he is quite open and honest when I’m running my fingers through his hair. He says he is staying and thats good enough for me.

8 Likes

So he tells you he’s gunna stay when you have a pair of sharp scissors by his throat?!

I get the contract point but sadly contracts don’t mean a great deal anymore. I still think we’d get a huge fee if he had 3 years left rather than 5. If you think about it from the buying clubs point of view, they want the player now. Not in two or three years when he’s older. The pay rise probably helps minimise the amount and degree of ‘head turning’ when speculation is rife.

The same probably goes with the captaincy. It is good for the ego. Equally, given the fact that Puel has rotated so much to date and Virgil has until now been the only mainstay both in the league and Europe, it would make sense to have him as you captain. If for no other reason than continuity.

I agree that a big move to Spain would be ideal for him and us but I can’t see those clubs signing him directly FROM us. I don’t think our club and players are high profile enough to get their plastic ‘galactico’ craving fans excited. I could be wrong of course.

I guess I have just become desensitised by it all over the years and hold little optimism in ‘loyalty’ in football anymore. Koeman was the straw that broke that particular camel’s back for me.

I hope you’re right and he does stay as I love watching him play the game. The guy is a beast.

Nothing exactly, more a feeling,

Obviously he’s going to move on at some point, that’s a given. There’s just something about him makes me think his heads not going to be turned quite so easily, Like he knows he’s destined for the big time but at the moment he’s well aware that he’s in the perfect environment at this stage of his development … and lets be honest, he’s still pretty raw and there’s a lot in his game he needs to improve on …

… the everso classy Toby Alderweireld anyone ? … Virgils not there just yet !

the final getting nearer and I still cant find anything on a free transfer coming in. Does any one know the plan if we get another injury. Is the Gardos going to be the next Van Dyke. He looked ok when he played before his injuries and bookings. Him and yosh would be my choice. I want some height in the 2 centre backs.

Just heard Bertrand may be played. Happy with that with Mcqueen as left back. We need to stop Fellani and Ib getting to the Man U long ball . West ham will be good practice. They have similar tactics

Because he’s Dutch, and we all know that Dutch people are honourable people who never chase money and always see out their contracts… :lou_wink_2:

2 Likes

I’d be shocked - shocked I tell you - if we played Bertrand at CB in the EFL Cup final. If Claude doesn’t go with the same defence as against Pool (injuries permitting) then I will eat my hat. Plus Yosh is quality in the air, despite not being the tallest CB in all of Christendom.

More important than the CBs, in my opinion, is making sure Romeu is sitting in front of them.

5 Likes

I’m curious @newyorksaint , whereabouts in New York did you hear about Bertrand?

The last time I was there I recall someone stopping me up near the Guggenheim and telling me that Wanyama was refusing to sign a new deal, but I thought nothing of it at the time.

2 Likes

Didn’t Puel mention it as a ‘possibility’ in his presser yesterday ?

1 Like