🕹 🎮 Xbox or PlayStation?

Interesting, and if this is the case and it supports discs then I will be first in the queue…

Backwards compatibility
The PlayStation 5 is designed to support PS4 games – but it’s still uncertain whether that means through digital versions or if it will play the old discs. The PS4’s virtual reality headset, PSVR, will also be compatible with the PS5.

the PS5 is running on an 8-core AMD Ryzen Zen 2 CPU, and an AMD Radeon RDNA 2 GPU. The latter boasts 10.3 Teraflops of processing power – by comparison, the launch PS4 had only 1.84 TFLOPs, and the PS4 Pro had 4.2. That’s backed up by 16 GB of GDDR6 RAM.

The stale old hard disk drive (HDD) has been swapped out for a solid state drive (SSD), with 825 GB of storage space. That’s a bit of a strange number, so we suspect that it might be a 1 TB drive with 175 GB already taken up with system data.

This SSD, coupled with the specially designed architecture, should speed up the console dramatically. Because the data is accessible immediately, the system and the games should boot up ultra-fast, and in-game load times between levels or lives should be basically non-existent. Cerny jokes that developers might even have to artificially slow it down, so players don’t get confused about what’s happening.

In numbers, the PS5 SSD has a target bandwidth of about 5 GB per second – a huge step up from the PS4’s 100 MB/s. That means that it’ll take just a quarter of a second for the console to load in 2 GB of data, when starting a level for example. It takes the PS4 20 seconds to load just 1 GB.

1 Like

I am not as techy as you, but for comparison here is the Xbox series X spec summary:

• CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.8GHz (3.6GHz with SMT) 7nm
  • GPU: 12 TFLOPs, 52 CUs at 1.825GHz, Custom RDNA 2
  • Memory: 16GB GDDR6
  • Storage: 1TB custom NVMe SSD
  • Optical drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray

So 12 TFLOPs then :blush:

1 Like

More detail on the Xbox beast

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

They look remarkably similar don’t they ¯\(ツ)

I think XBox might shade it technically this time out. The release of the XBox One was a bloody disaster. Series X looks all about the market that’d lump a couple of grand on a PC.

I have both and PS pisses all over the 15 year old interface, the exclusives and how easy it is to navigate, oh and the controller, the x box is shite.

Good work seeing as neither are on sale yet. :clap:

Oh dear.

I know absolutely fuck all about the technical specifications, performance, etc of these machines, but have tinkered with a PS3 and an XBox One (both chiefly for use by the kids). From my experience the X Box is much better. :+1:

The PS3 fat is an amazing piece of kit, the xbox in comparison is turgid, also the games were nowhere near as good.

Umm the Xbox One is comparable to the PS4 isn’t it?? It was the Xbox 360 that was the PS3’s main competitor IIRC…

Thats correct, your point?

Comparing apples and pears, can’t compare the Xbox One to the PS3 as the One had far superior specs.

Where did I say I was?

Oh, OK, didn’t realise that. :+1:

Apology accepted, no worries.

You didn’t, I was replying to @Numptyboi

And he was replying to me, the little avatar icon in the top right of the post is the giveaway …

1 Like

You have neither you minge.

We’re talking about unreleased consoles in the XBox and Playstation series.

I also think your criticism of the XBox only applies to that cheap shit “S” you bought.

Xbox when comparing to PS you’d obviously compare it to its direct competitor, fuck me sideways.
Pap, the One is shite to the Pro so no, its a wank machine in comparison with wank exclusives.
You stick to your Nintendo…